reclaiming mortgage broker fees

i think i have paid excessive mortgage broker fees for a 55k mortgage i took out with santander in 2008, in all i paid 3.5 k. to a financial advisor in a well known firm. i was looking for advice if i would have a worthy claim on these fees in anyone's opinion , the question i have is where do i start, the mortgage broker or santander.any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Comments

• Any complaint goes to whoever charged and received the fees.

Nothing you have said indicates that you have a "worthy claim".
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i think i have paid excessive mortgage broker fees for a 55k mortgage i took out with santander in 2008,

There is no such thing as excessive fees. The FCA does not regulate pricing of advice.
    in all i paid 3.5 k. to a financial advisor in a well known firm.

I have seen fees for higher than that. I have seen fees lower than that. They are high (we charge £250 with no commission rebate of £1000 with commission rebate). However, firms are free to charge what they like.
    where do i start, the mortgage broker or santander.

Santander have nothing to do with fees paid to third party firms. It would be the mortgage broker. However, as no such thing as excessive fees applies to mortgage broker/financial advisers, its a non-starter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure