PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all. I hope you don't mind me joining you. I've read through the thread so far over the last few days. I'm very much in the CBA camp when it comes to cooking, I like the idea of cooking these big fancy meals and theoretically I can but I find I rarely get round to eating leftovers.

I've never considered myself a small eater but I find recommended portion sizes are often much larger than I'd like of one food at one time. My preferred cooking method is shoving everything in the remoska or microwave, although I do like mashed root veg which tends to call for the hob.

My dinner tonight was a beef burger in a brioche bun (which were reduced in Mr T and the packet assured me were ideal for burgers, however, personally I thought it was very sweet and more like a dessert roll if there's such a thing) some curly fries, a couple of onion rings and a tomato that I'm pretty sure was frozen.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :D:D:D

You need to get a cat in your old age so that.....

- no matter how tired and achy you get, a cat always manages to nag you into getting up as they need their food.
    - you can blame any smell of old-age-related wee on them
    - it'll be the cat scratching at the front door that finally alerts the neighbours that the hermit has snuffed it.

:rotfl:

I have a love/ hate relationship with cats...I quite like them but hate the **** they leave in the garden and elsewhere indiscriminately :( (not wanting to start a discussion on that in this thread though :D)..

Cat or not, I think it would be months (and the smell) before anyone discovered me gone :o

So back on topic, I've still not eaten and still no idea what I want... Not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but at least I didn't have to cook and eat what someone else wanted at the time they were hungry!

:D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tins of prunes and custard.... anybody else have those when young?

Yes. I quite liked them :cool:
    Willowx wrote: »

My dinner tonight was a beef burger in a brioche bun (which were reduced in Mr T and the packet assured me were ideal for burgers, however, personally I thought it was very sweet and more like a dessert roll if there's such a thing) some curly fries, a couple of onion rings and a tomato that I'm pretty sure was frozen.

Welcome Willow :)

I find too many pre-made stuff too sweet. I would never use a jar of pasta sauce for example, because they are always too sweet :(
    Why they add the sugar is beyond me!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Tins of prunes and custard.... anybody else have those when young?

Not prunes very often but we did have fruit cocktail in a tin ...I loved the grapes :)
    Hi all. I hope you don't mind me joining you. I've read through the thread so far over the last few days. I'm very much in the CBA camp when it comes to cooking, I like the idea of cooking these big fancy meals and theoretically I can but I find I rarely get round to eating leftovers.

I've never considered myself a small eater but I find recommended portion sizes are often much larger than I'd like of one food at one time. My preferred cooking method is shoving everything in the remoska or microwave, although I do like mashed root veg which tends to call for the hob.

Agree about Brioche buns and if you eat out anywhere now everything is served in the damm things ...its like eating a tea cake with a burger in for me :D
  • Spiralisers.
    I review for Amazon and have had lots sent for review. The manual spiralisers that hold food horizontally are very awkward to use - much better are those that are vertical as gravity helps you.
    I haven't had an electrical one to try as yet. I tend not to use them so much at this time of year, but come the spring we'll be back with carrot ribbons.

For bog-standard grating and slicing that isn't enough for the food processor I use a 1962 ex Army married quarters box Nutbrown grater. It's been with me for 40 years now. I've had a mandoline and various other slicey-dicey things to try. The most useful a Zyliss pull - action chopper (like starting a lawnmower) which I use to finely chop onions without ending up in tears.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Willowx
    Glad to see it's not just me on the brioche buns. Still got three more to use will have to ponder sweet sandwiches I think. Never been one for having burgers when out so maybe why I've not come across them before prefer to get something I can't/don't do at home when out.

With regards to prunes and custard it used to be a treat at my Grandma's, I'm a big custard fan. It used to be either prunes or syrup suet sponge, was equally happy with either which may be a little odd! Not had prunes for many years will try to remember to take a look next time I'm shopping.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2017 at 10:58PM
    I do like mashed root veg which tends to call for the hob.
    Nah ... nuke/steam it :)
    I had mashed swede Xmas day and some mashed carrots that week.... could've done them together, of course, but I didn't.

A steaming method/mechanism (hob&water/electric/nuke version), bit of water, lob them in .... pace back and forth for the appropriate number of minutes ... remove, mash, job done.
    My dinner tonight was a beef burger in a brioche bun (which were reduced in Mr T and the packet assured me were ideal for burgers, however, personally I thought it was very sweet and more like a dessert roll if there's such a thing)
    I went out for a burger in a pub last year. Who I went with had chosen the venue as they served brioche buns with their burgers .... but ... it turned out to be the previous week/visit. I remember this because my companion was saying over and over again "I like brioche, this isn't brioche, it was brioche last week, that's why I wanted to come here...."

Seen them in Aldi, not had them yet.
  • PasturesNew
    Not had prunes for many years will try to remember to take a look next time I'm shopping.

That's what I thought when I had the memory .... I am sure I remember liking the warm prune juice!

They're not attractive looking and they have a bad reputation for not being pleasant due to the jokey side of prunes being good for making things occur :) ... but I'm sure I kind of liked them!
  • Willowx
    Nah ... nuke/steam it :)
    I had mashed swede Xmas day and some mashed carrots that week.... could've done them together, of course, but I didn't.

A steaming method/mechanism (hob&water/electric/nuke version), bit of water, lob them in .... pace back and forth for the appropriate number of minutes ... remove, mash, job done.

I think I have some form of mental block there, mashed veg must be boiled not really sure why, if it's to be eaten as is, boiled/baked equivalent then the microwave is my go to option. Steaming I've never really tried not sure why. I certainly don't need a another kitchen gadget and my colander is plastic so not sure that would hold up. Might investigate microwave steaming.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 13 February 2017 at 11:16PM
    Might investigate microwave steaming.

I just like the convenience of having less steam/smell - and you turn a knob and can leave it and it pings.... no watching for boiling over, or water levels ... or worrying about opening a window, or wafting smells out.

:)

It works for me for small quantities.... steam one carrot ... no waiting for water to boil, no watching ... no feeling "well, this is overkill for one carrot". Simple, small, turn a knob, ping. Done and away :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure