Conservatory fitting issue

Comments

• 5 degree pitch and rooflights is asking for trouble . As far as the cill detail is concern all that would need is a straight length of bar cill and end cap where it buts up against the frame not ideal .Can i ask why your bricklayer didnt come out of the ground with Brickwork instead of blockwork
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    5 degree pitch and rooflights is asking for trouble . .....Can i ask why your bricklayer didnt come out of the ground with Brickwork instead of blockwork

So, at the point when the surveyor realised the pitch would only be 5 degrees, he should have considered our request for roof lights and suggested we re-consider. Seems straightforward, since we couldn't know otherwise.

The ground level currently is well below where it will be. As the bungalow is rendered, we decided to render the wall just below DPC. This 150mm showing will then be painted to match with the rest of the bungalow when we re-do the back.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2017 at 8:06PM
    Just my penneth worth but imo its poorly designed, the Cill detail where it meets the door is a bodge and is a result of poor design.

The brickwork is poor and the pointing in particular is an eyesore. Its also an eyesore where they have run the brick corners up and have used differen bricks,or at least a different batch which don't match the rest of the bricks.....

Just noticed the brickwork was done in house...............Sorry Dave I'll get my coat.. But having said that you weren't charging anyone good money for doing the brickwork. This is Dave giving me a close look at the brickwork banghead2.gif
  • Davesnave
    edited 13 January 2017 at 8:10PM
    The brickwork is poor and the pointing in particular is an eyesore. Its also an eyesore where they have run the brick corners up and have used differen bricks,or at least a different batch which don't match the rest of the bricks.....
    If you have any suggestions on how it could be cleaned up a bit....fine, but right now it's not a priority.

I was a school teacher for 35 years. They do say that those who can't do, teach!

The bricks are all the same; it's just water.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    If you have any suggestions on how it could be cleaned up a bit....fine, but right now it's not a priority.

The bricks are all the same; it's just water.

No worries, wasn't having a dig at you Dave. Teach me to read the whole thread before posting... :) Re: Pointing you could try Brick acid but do a test area first.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    I haven't read through the whole of the thread but a corner post would have been better in that corner so the cill could have butted up to it. That's a monster size! When it's finally sorted it will make a great room. Good luck!
  • Davesnave wrote: »

The ground level currently is well below where it will be. As the bungalow is rendered, we decided to render the wall just below DPC. This 150mm showing will then be painted to match with the rest of the bungalow when we re-do the back.

You could end up bridging the dpc on both your house and your conservatory good practice is to start any rendering from the dpc not below it and outside ground level 150mm below .
    Your bricklayer should have covered the corners up which he has taken up first and by the looks of it sometime before the rest of the wall the bricks have taken in water unless the pack that the corners were built up with were left uncovered .
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Davesnave
    You could end up bridging the dpc on both your house and your conservatory good practice is to start any rendering from the dpc not below it and outside ground level 150mm below .
    Your bricklayer should have covered the corners up which he has taken up first and by the looks of it sometime before the rest of the wall the bricks have taken in water unless the pack that the corners were built up with were left uncovered .
    Thanks but the whole of the rest of the bungalow is like that, and it has been since 1974. So was my last house, built in 1937. No damp in either.

Ground level will be about 150mm below the bottom brick.

The corner bricks are wet because water has been peeing down over them from unfinished gutters.
  • Davesnave
    docmatt wrote: »
    I haven't read through the whole of the thread but a corner post would have been better in that corner so the cill could have butted up to it. That's a monster size! When it's finally sorted it will make a great room. Good luck!

Thanks. I agree about the corner post. There's one there, but it's small.

This is a smallholding, so we're home a lot and in/outdoors all the time. Even in January, we'd be using the space on a day like we've just had, or when the sun gets a bit higher, we'd open the house to it and import warm air into the rest of the property.
  • Davesnave
    :) Re: Pointing you could try Brick acid but do a test area first.
    Don't worry, it wasn't really me who did the pointing; it was a member of my extended family. They know it went a bit paridae-up and have said they'll try acid when next here.

Yes I might have done it slightly better, but I don't know for sure. I've only done stonework and I'm very slow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure