dave35 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Had to pay mortgage off-it was a gift
  • $$$_12
    $$$_12 Posts: 163 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Took the unusual route of never having a mortgage at all.

About 8 years ago I decided I wouldn't have a mortgage and would instead save up the money to buy a house for cash.

This year I finally bought a house for £95K. Over the years, I have watched prices rocket upwards, and slowly fall back down to earth. I have also moved around a few times - trying out different areas - thanks to renting. Also saw plenty stretch themselves get on the housing ladder (or snake) and struggle in the intervening years.

Having cash and being able to proceed quickly meant I was able to negotiate nearly a 20% discount off the original asking price too.

Pearl of wisdom?
    In the end, economy overdrive won't be quite enough on most salaries if you want to take the same route over a similar time period. You have to work out ways of seriously increasing your income alongside economising. I ended up setting up my own business.

Here's the original thread I made in 2006:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=180360&highlight=

where, most replies (perhaps quite rightly) thought I was a tad bonkers. But as some said, life did get in the way. I met my 2008 target - and it wasn't enough so I kept going. Nearly bought in 2010 - but it fell through.

I did finally end up where I thought (in 2006) I wanted to be though.
  • gerbiljo
    Options
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW
    In 2008 our 4.5% fixed rate was coming to an end. We went to a mortgage advisor and decided on a 6.2% fixed rate for 10 years. I had just had a baby and I earnt the most and money was so tight. I called the bank to give them my decision a couple of weeks before and they said that I would have to pay an early repayment charge or wait 2 weeks to confirm. There had been rumours about a possible interest rate drop and the phone call with the bank annoyed me so much we decided last minute just to allow ourself to fall onto our 'tracker' that took over after the original fixed rate ended, 0.9% above the base rate. By the beginning of 2009 our mortgage was £300 less a month and where we had cut back to the breadline for me being off and the news was showing interviews with people overpaying their mortgages, we looked into this and found out we could make unlimited over payments, which we did whilst I was on maternity leave. On my time to return to work I had huge problems with my bosses only allowing me to return to a 48hour week, I didn'y want to be pushed from my job so in august 2009 I returned to work full time with the intention of overpaying our mortgage by my whole salary £2500 a month for as long as I could stick it out, however as soon as this started I had my eye on mortgage freedom and signed up to the MFIT-2 challenge, by nov/dec 2009 I literally thought about nothing else!

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest
    £135,000

c. Mortgage Free Date
    28-08-2012

d. Your pearl of wisdom
    If u are going to push so hard and put pressure on yourself and almost live in misery to complete this challenge then you've gotta do it in a couple of years. We did it for 3 and do still have some interest free debt to clear. We were stressed and unhappy I'm glad its over but if ur finances don't allow you to do it quick then have a longterm sensible plan so you can achieve but don't over deprive yourself life is too short, life is for living.
    Mortgage November 2003 was £135k, but thanks to this website on 28/08/12 we became MORTGAGE FREE!
    Now just over 2 years we have taken on the challenge again! )(starting £237k Nov 2014) Current mortgage £232,399.82, current overpayment total £1550, years remaining= 17
  • gerbiljo
    Options
    should probably say took out our mortgage 2003 23 november.
    Mortgage November 2003 was £135k, but thanks to this website on 28/08/12 we became MORTGAGE FREE!
    Now just over 2 years we have taken on the challenge again! )(starting £237k Nov 2014) Current mortgage £232,399.82, current overpayment total £1550, years remaining= 17
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    That early repayment charge greed cost them loads--nice dodging that bullet.

Yeah 2nd year into paying off mortgage I decided I needed my yearly holiday--provided I didn't take a loan or go overdrawn

enjoy your financial freedom gerbilo
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • ryanryanryan
    Options
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW = 30th April 2003
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest = £200,000
    c. Mortgage-Free Date = Today! 14th Dec 2012
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom =
    · - Annual money makeover & inc. a month review keeps things in hand.
    - · Roll with the punches & keep on after it.

It felt so good to cancel that monthly direct debit payment.

Thank you MoneySavingExpert contributors

[FONT=&quot]Thank you Martin Lewis & the Team[/FONT]
  • mongmoney
    Options
    Date I decided to become M free= may 2001
    M debt at its highest= 95,000
    M debt 'be gone' date= 2nd July 2012

I didn't think I would do it by 40, but I did. Such a surreal feeling when you delete those direct debits. By having my own roof I have been able to give up a stressful job, as I don't need to earn as much anymore to still have a good standard of living.
    Words of wisdom= have what you want but be clever as to where you source your stuff from, use MSE alot, never be wasteful and always be thankful.:A
    Good luck to all those paying it off. I find I am so much happier now the pressure to meet those payments isn't there.
    Stay frugal and coupon crazy!:T
    Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • Justinr
    Options
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW = 2004 sometime
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest = £145,000
    c. Mortgage-Free Date = 3 Nov 2012
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom =
    Overpay, Overpay, Overpay (whenever you can) and don't fall for tie-ins.
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Became mf 2 years ago, regularly overpaying even £50 at a time. Used a mortgage calculator to help me called Karl jeacle to see how much difference each amount would make. Pearls of advice, become more frugal, gather tips on saving from debt board and oldstyle was useful too. A word of advice, please have an emergency fund set up 3 months single person and 6 months for a family first or do a combination of overpay mortgage and emergency fund. I thought once our mortgage was clear we could jet off on a lot of holidays, but fate stepped in with a lovely new baby and then rather suddenly my hubbie lost his job after 20 years. Unfortunately he hasn't found anything yet but we are cushioned because of lack of mortgage and an emergency fund.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • geoffers4
    geoffers4 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So pleased to be able to post to this forum, after years of slog:

a. The date you decided to become a MFW = 2006
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest = £137,000
    c. Mortgage-Free Date = 23 Dec 2012
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom = downsize! we downsized our property twice, as the boys grew up, but now have a fab (little) property in the Lake District - perfect!

Good luck everyone in achieving your mortgage-free goals.
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback