Credit Search impact on score

I've been working for a year trying to build up my credit score.

Earlier today, while applying for a balance transfer credit card, I was told my application has been successful but before I got to confirm, my laptop died.

I am now worried about going through the application again. Would this show as multiple credit applications on my score? And how badly can this impact my credit report?

Thanks.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    shazde7 wrote: »
    I've been working for a year trying to build up my credit score.

Earlier today, while applying for a balance transfer credit card, I was told my application has been successful but before I got to confirm, my laptop died.

I am now worried about going through the application again. Would this show as multiple credit applications on my score? And how badly can this impact my credit report?

Thanks.

Welcome to mse.

Firstly your going about it the wrong way. Your not building your score, your history is what your building its what lenders can see hence its important.

Check your files with the 3 agencies and see if theres an entry for the search carried out before you go and apply again.
  • But the search wouldn't show on my file immediately, would it?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    But the search wouldn't show on my file immediately, would it?

I dont know, no harm in trying.

Either that or you ask the lender if its still live on the system.
  • SHill
    SHill Posts: 146 Forumite
    Did you press the submit button?

Then wait for a few days or a week, call them.

Go on noodle it free to view and you can check but I cannot promise how quick it updates.

Did you check you eligibility criteria...

Don't worry about your credit score it's you credit history the financial organisation is looking to review.
    They be looking at 6 years of missed payments, have any County court judgements ..
    The number of credit searches in short space of time.

Who were you applying to?
    Harsh truth...
    Note to yourself next time you apply make sure your laptop is fully charged or connected properly.
  • I didn't submit the application but presume for them to say I'm eligible they must have done a credit search? Or is a hard inquiry done only when an actual application is made?
  • SHill
    From what you say that your eligible they may have search.

You didn't say who you applied too?

Like I said before check Noddle to see too. It's free to review.

Leave it a few days or a week to be sure don't reapply but call the company you have applied to see if they have a record of your application. Too many applications will go against you then you have to wait several months before you can apply again.

Be patience it will be worth it in the end. What's the rush?
  • Just checked on Noddle and the search has been recorded, even though I didn't complete the application. (Went as far as stating the Credit Limit and asked me to confirm the deal)

Gutted...
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Stop stressing over your credit score. It's a randomly generated number an therefore meaningless.
  • kovacsi76
    kovacsi76 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just checked on Noddle and the search has been recorded, even though I didn't complete the application. (Went as far as stating the Credit Limit and asked me to confirm the deal)

Gutted...

Call them, tell them what happened, and ask them to finalise the application if it's pending.
  • SHill
    It's up to you take the advice on the forum or not.. it's your choice it set in stone.

From my experiences I've made mistakes similar to yours but learned from them so as not to repeat them again & again.
    In the end you asked a question.. got answer maybe not what you want to read.
    In the end what real harm has happened. You been approved you've just need to go back to the company you have applied & sort out any loose ends.
    You getting a card which you went to apply for. Like I said before call them don't reapply as they may reject you.
    You can apply for another card elsewhere but you "may" get a lower limit.

Just learn from this & be a little patience with yourself. If as you say you have built a credit history for year then it's not all bad.
    Just take your time in any future applications.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure