Co-op closing 10 more branches

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I prefer to have the option of using my bank.
    Plain and simple.

Carrying out your banking in a branch is slow, inefficient and expensive. You should consider moving to the 21st century with the rest of us before bank closures force you to!.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Plan B is to ask existing investors for more money. There's no guarantee that the existing investors will cough up though, and if they don't the bank will have to be rescued by the Bank of England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/09/co-op-bank-racks-losses-seeks-buyer/

Yes, that is Plan B. That might not work either.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    takman wrote: »
    Carrying out your banking in a branch is slow, inefficient and expensive. You should consider moving to the 21st century with the rest of us before bank closures force you to!.

Apologies if one requires a full service bank that offers full clearing and working international payment facilities.

One is a demanding customer :rotfl:
  • System
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I have used Nationwide to make international payments, before discovering other cheaper alternatives, so the option is there if you want to use it.

You'll find as they don't have a full setup (they use HSBC as an intermediary bank for their incoming payments) the option isn't always there. Been there, had the issues and choose to use a proper bank!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Apologies if one requires a full service bank that offers full clearing and working international payment facilities.

One is a demanding customer :rotfl:

But you don't require either of those!. You only want a full clearing bank so you can use an archaic method of paying your bills when there are more effecient and less time consuming methods available.
    You also want to make international payments from your bank which is one of the most expensive methods of doing it.

So by thinking you require those facilities from your bank your just wasting time and wasting money!.
  • System
    takman wrote: »
    But you don't require either of those!. You only want a full clearing bank so you can use an archaic method of paying your bills when there are more effecient and less time consuming methods available.
    You also want to make international payments from your bank which is one of the most expensive methods of doing it.

So by thinking you require those facilities from your bank your just wasting time and wasting money!.

Thanks for your opinion, I waste neither as I use BGC when there is no other option.
    When I use the bank for forex, the cost is fully met by my employer.

The cruix of this thread is i've ran out of transfer incentives bar Nationwide/HSBC.
    HSBC are the pits and Nationwide lack suitable facilities even if 'nicer'
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The cruix of this thread is i've ran out of transfer incentives bar Nationwide/HSBC.
    HSBC are the pits and Nationwide lack suitable facilities even if 'nicer'

So why not have 2 accounts, one with Nationwide for everything except the once in a blue moon need to pay using BCG and for those occasions when you want to waste your employer's money by using a bank for international transfers, and one elsewhere for those two functions?
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JVenture wrote: »
    Co-op is not "For Sale" the co-operative group sold a majority stake in the bank to a large hedge fund during the financial crisis which effectively lost them the bank, what the group has decided recently is to drop its current stake in the failing bank to support the rest of the group.

Inaccurate on a few levels, as previously pointed out in part.

The Co-op group did not "sell" to hedge funds. Hedge funds frantically bought up debt in the bank which was in turn converted to shares (called a debt-for-equity swap, or "bail-in" of investors). The Co-op didn't have any choice in this at the time, as the only other option was the Bank of England put the bank into resolution, but in reality this wouldn't have happened as the Bank of England would have forced a bail-in. This left the Co-op group with a 30% stake, later watered down further to just 20% when a further bail-in was required, and the Co-op group chose to reduce their holding rather than pay more money in.

The hedge funds - used to making a quick profit - have decided to cut loses and get out. They don't want to put more money in. Some reports suggest that they may come to blows with the capital raising option in the event of no sale as they want to cut loses - so we could yet see the BoE force resolution on the bank, although extremely unlikely to effect personal customers, who will at they very least see accounts sold to another provider before the remainder of the bank is wound up. Keeping their 20% would mean putting more money in, which the Co-op Group have demonstrated they don't want to do, so the whole bank is for sale.
  • System
    edited 15 March 2017 at 11:56AM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    So why not have 2 accounts, one with Nationwide for everything except the once in a blue moon need to pay using BCG and for those occasions when you want to waste your employer's money by using a bank for international transfers, and one elsewhere for those two functions?

I don't know why I started this thread tbh.

I guess I was shocked that Co-op would close their only branch in a city of over 500k.

Had a FlexAccount years ago, Nationwide used to be excellent but once Martin highlighted the free foreign usage, they got loads of free-loaders and their service subsequently went downhill and has never recovered.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know why I started this thread tbh.

Nor me.

I guess I was shocked that Co-op would close their only branch in a city of over 500k.

It's a bit rubbish but they are under a lot of pressure, and I suspect that in a few years time they'll be gone completely from the High Street, and possibly from the sector altogether.
    Had a FlexAccount years ago, Nationwide used to be excellent but once Martin highlighted the free foreign usage, they got loads of free-loaders and their service subsequently went downhill and has never recovered.

So who do you think has a better offering? And why not just mix and match across several providers to get the functionality that you want, the same as the rest of us do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure