webuyanycar.com

Options

Comments

• davieman1406
    Options
    Dearie me. Wrong on every level.

Sounds like you got taken to the cleaners by them. They worked a treat for me. ;)
    Quite the opposite, I refuse to sell my pride and joy for the insult of an offer they gave me. I am pleased for you that you got want you wanted for your car, either you were very lucky or your expectations were very low. I think you'll find that there are significantly more unsatisfied customers or "nearly" customers on here than there are "satisfied", and when you look further afield from this forum and this website there are many horror stories about this "business" or scam as I like to call it. Watch this space, you may well find them on a well known investigative news programme on the beeb soon.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tali wrote: »
    anyone used webuyanycar.com?

They offered me £120 for a Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec on a V plate last year, had MOT and Tax, in the end took the car to my local metal scrapyard and they weighed it in, I got £175 for it, plus the refund of 2 months Tax.

I wouldn't recommend them, unless you are selling a newish car and need a quick sale, remember they don't pay you cash the same day!

It is done via BACS transfer
  • Judas wrote: »
    So basically your husband misrepresented the car and tried to sell an unroadworthy car. Why is this acceptable? Would you be happy if a trader tried to sell you the car and never admitted its true condition?
    I would suggest it is acceptable purely because webuyanycar will sell the vehicle in exactly the same condition they bought it in.
    The point is a faulty vehicle can represent a larger profit for WBAC and may make the vehicle more attractive to them.
    They send hundreds of vehicles each week straight to various BCA centres without doing any work on them where they are sold under the CC Trade section.
    By buying vehicles with faults and getting the purchase price reduced because of their faults is good business for them. Although they are aware of the faults, the faults are not disclosed at the point of sale in auction, and any reduction they have negotiated is an increase in profit for them.
    You really should visit a BCA centre and see just how much money direct cars make. You would be surprised.
    For example I recently purchased a vehicle in CC Trade and paid eleven hundred pounds for it. Inside the vehicle I found the paperwork showing they had just paid the owner seven hundred pounds for it.
    They buy vehicles specifically to send straight to auction. Something the owner could have done anyway and probably been better off.
    It is of no concern to me, I am a motor trader and I don't consider profit a dirty word. But you must remember a car with a fault that will not be apparent in auction such as a noisy gearbox will make no difference to the hammer price that CC Trade receive for the vehicle even though they have reduced their purchase price because of it.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Remeber that any offer made by these kind of companies is subject to inspection, the price you actually get may be different to the quote.

If you remenber the adverts in Loot or Autotrader and some local papers with a trader offering to buy your car today, my old boss did this years ago, he would basically prey on those for whom selling the car was a "distress sale", in other words they had to sell, and quickly to pay a bill, he would then hit them and hit them hard, he would offer say £1000 on the phone with the intention of paying no more than £500 when he went to see the seller, and thia would be on cars advertised for £2000, his opinion was if they didn't hang up when he offered half price he knew he coud get it for less, he was a shrewd and savvy businessman, he got old to F off many times but took that as part of the job.

He would then resell at £2000 or more. A very good business, I have no doubts that WBAC operates a very similiar business model.

Oops, didn't read the last post, well I fully agree.
  • davieman1406
    Options
    Judas wrote: »
    Why did you offer your car to WBAC? Why should they have to offer you more than they so wish?

They are free to offer what they want; you are free to decline it?
    They offer less to recognise the fact it is a quick and easy sale for the seller.

Why dont you tell us about your valuable gem of a car and what was offered for it. Oh and while your at it explain why they should have to pay more than they want too.
    This is getting quite boring now Judas, I have better things to do than have a pointless debate with you, given the fact you have no idea of what you are talking about. Don't contact me again or I will report you for abuse.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They've ruined a dozy Sunday morning spent watching Motoring on Dave :(
  • misterspivvy
    misterspivvy Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2010 at 3:36AM
    Options
    I think this company is only any good if you just want rid of your car in a hurry- like if there's something wrong with it and big bills are on the horizon.
    They are the equivalent of those companies that would give you guarenteed car finance despite poor credit history-at extortionate prices and extortionate APR. catering for the desperate or permanently baffled.

Being a follower of the "bangernomics" school of motoring, I tend to drive cars at the lower end of the market. Purely out of interest, I put in details of my last two cars- a 1990 volvo 740 GLT, low mileage, one previous owner, 12 months mot. Reading this forum it seems standard practise is to offer you far less when you actually turn up at their door. well, they offered me £50 online!how much lower can they go? the fuel in the tank's worth more than that!
    Then I tried my '97 Golf diesel estate- again, only £50 offered, with the interesting tagline that "valuation includes a contribution from the refunded tax disc". What, so I've just put £112 worth of tax on it, from which you'll give me 50 and then get a free MOT'd running and driving car?? that's not you BUYING my car, its me paying you to take if off me. trading standards?
    It wouldnt suprise me actually if low end cars like this are simply weighed straight in at the scrapyard or exported rather than re-sold, something bulky like the volvo's worth 150 in scrap value.
    However...a mate in work had an '02 plate laguna with an intermittant ECU fault, quoted over a grand for replacement, so he was extremely pleased to get shot of it with this lot for a grand.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I think that is what the £50 price bracket is for, strip and scrap.
  • toptone
    Options
    My experience was similar too many, they don't give you on inspection what they offer on-line. And then there's the admin fees, CHAPS fee etc. everybody's doing it, what a con. I also walked out and now the VW dealer's going to get it in part-ex.
  • misterspivvy
    Options
    Based on what I've read here I sure won't be using them. not unless I think I can get one over on them anyway:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure