MSE News: Top overseas spending card no longer available to new N&P customers

Norwich & Peterborough Building Society is no longer accepting new applications for its Gold Classic current account...
Read the full story:
'Top overseas spending card no longer available to new Norwich & Peterborough customers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was overseas when another traveller told me about this card. I tried to apply then and there but it was detected that I was out of the country.

I arrived home on 4th October and shortly afterwards tried to open the account - but too late.

So near to getting it...
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This comes hot on the heels of the closure of the Cash Transactor account by NandP's parent, Yorkshire Building Society.

Looks like there is some re-organisation in UK banking. Previously Secure Trust Bank closed its current account, the only prepaid account secured by FSCS and cited competition from free basic bank accounts. Now YBS!
  • Frogletina wrote: »
    I was overseas when another traveller told me about this card. I tried to apply then and there but it was detected that I was out of the country.

I arrived home on 4th October and shortly afterwards tried to open the account - but too late.

So near to getting it...

Perhaps Cumberland BS - Plus Current Account is a solution.

This is Cumberland fee free when using an ATM abroad so very much the same result as N&P Gold.

However .. as always there is a but .. which is that you must either be an existing Cumberland member or live in their operating area.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Perhaps Cumberland BS - Plus Current Account is a solution.

This is Cumberland fee free when using an ATM abroad so very much the same result as N&P Gold.

However .. as always there is a but .. which is that you must either be an existing Cumberland member or live in their operating area.

Thanks for the information. It doesn't help me but it may help others
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I understood YBS would be reviewing the N&P brand in Q4 2016.
    This would seem to fit in with this time frame.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I understood YBS would be reviewing the N&P brand in Q4 2016.
    This would seem to fit in with this time frame.

It looks like N&P have withdrawn their credit card as well, because I can't find any mention of it on their website, apart from the login for existing customers. Without current accounts or a credit card, there doesn't seem to be anything left to distinguish N&P from the main Yorkshire brand, so the N&P brand will probably be wound up and the branches re-branded as YBS.
  • System
    edited 11 October 2016 at 8:37PM
    I don't know if they will keep the current accounts as is (free foreign use) but the fact they've withdrawn their quasi-basic transactor account suggests they are planning to withdraw completely (from current type products) or re-launch current accounts YBS network wide.

They are of a sufficent size to be a challanger 'bank' with a good sized network (second only to Nationwide)

EarthBoy wrote: »
    It looks like N&P have withdrawn their credit card as well, because I can't find any mention of it on their website, apart from the login for existing customers. Without current accounts or a credit card, there doesn't seem to be anything left to distinguish N&P from the main Yorkshire brand, so the N&P brand will probably be wound up and the branches re-branded as YBS.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I don't know if they will keep the current accounts as is (free foreign use) but the fact they've withdrawn their quasi-basic transactor account suggests they are planning to withdraw completely (from current type products) or re-launch current accounts YBS network wide.

They are of a sufficent size to be a challanger 'bank' with a good sized network (second only to Nationwide)

Introducing Yorkshire BS current accounts is a possibility, and I know they've considered it because it was mentioned in one of the online surveys I did for them a while ago. However, I think it's unlikely in the current economic climate.

They'd be starting from scratch, or at least from a very small account base, if they use the existing N&P accounts as a starting point for them. The current account market is already crowded so they'd have to offer some good sweeteners to make people switch to them and I doubt if they could afford any. Is the free usage abroad sufficient to attract a lot of new customers, and could YBS continue to afford to offer this perk?

The Coventry BS isn't far behind the Yorkshire in size and they have discontinued their own current account, so I wouldn't be surprised if YBS withdraw the N&P current accounts completely for existing customers.
  • System
    I don't think current accounts are out of the question but we shall see...

I would question a Coventry BS comparison - YBS' branch network has a much better geographical spread than theirs (I don't recall seeing one outside the Midlands) enhanced with YBS adding N&P in East Anglia.
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Introducing Yorkshire BS current accounts is a possibility, and I know they've considered it because it was mentioned in one of the online surveys I did for them a while ago. However, I think it's unlikely in the current economic climate...The Coventry BS isn't far behind the Yorkshire in size and they have discontinued their own current account, so I wouldn't be surprised if YBS withdraw the N&P current accounts completely for existing customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure