PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No building regs - trying to sell house

Jenniflower_2
Jenniflower_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 8 June 2010 at 4:35PM in House buying, renting & selling
Dont have building regs. Arghh

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    How did you get planning consent without building regs? I thought you had to have both? (I only have a vague memory and can't get to my file of stuff at the moment)
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    poppysarah wrote: »
    How did you get planning consent without building regs? I thought you had to have both?
    Planning consent comes before building regs. Who is going to get building regs for a building which might fail to get planning regs?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Vincenzo
    Vincenzo Posts: 526 Forumite
    Planning & building regs are entirely separate but I am amazed neither your architect nor your builder advised you of the need for building regs.

What have your buyers said? I expect they would still be able to get a mortgage but their lender may want the valuer to give their opinion as to how this affects value. It will depend upon the advice given by their solicitor, the underwriters and the policy of the lender. The buyers may not wish to proceed now anyway.

To be honest the only resolution I can see is to have the works fully inspected, ascertain what is required to make it comply and have the work done. Either that or agree the costs of doing so with the buyers and reduce the sale price accordingly, assuming they are still willing and able to proceed.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Planning consent comes before building regs. Who is going to get building regs for a building which might fail to get planning regs?

I remember the forms all going off at the same time - and building inspector coming out....
    Why they'd let you get planning permission without asking about your building regs I am not sure...
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Offer to your buyers that you will pay for them to take out an indemnity policy. They can take one out. The fact that no-one can claim on it is irrelevant, if you read the details they only apply for building alterations at leaswt 12 months old and the council can only order you to take remedial action for non complying with building regs within 12 months. All an indemnity policy does is keep the mortgage lender happy and keep the buyer content - they are not designed for people to claim, hence the cheap price.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Vincenzo
    poppysarah wrote: »
    I remember the forms all going off at the same time - and building inspector coming out....
    Why they'd let you get planning permission without asking about your building regs I am not sure...

How can the building inspector inspect work that has not even begun yet? I would certainly not want to pay the buidling regs fees until I knew I had planning permission either.

In my experience the building regs inspector will tend not ask if you have planning permission any more than the planner will ask if you intend to inform building regs.
  • Vincenzo
    poppysarah - out of interest I just had a look into this further and you can submit plans of proposed building works for approval. For some type sof work this is required. It sounds like this is what you did but for small jobs like a garage conversion you would normally just inform them when you intend to start and they will periodically inspect.
  • kmmr
    kmmr Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Building Regs is well past the planning permission stage. Even building regs drawings tend to be much more detailled (read, expensive) that planning drawings, so you wouldn't bother until you had at least recieved planning permission.

Building inspectors from the council can approve off the building regs drawings later on, but I believe they also come onsite during and after the build to ensure that you are complying with your drawings.

However, I CAN believe your builder may not have told you this. My builder never said a word on the last job I did. I am not sure how I am going to address this when I sell, as I think it may not comply, compounded by the effect of ever more stringent building regs that may have come into force since you did the work. You have to comply to current standards, if you don't have permission from before.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am suprised that the architect did not mention it. When I had plans done he told me both scenarios, submitted plans informally to planning. Planning came back saying PP was required due to building area so he altered plans (fiddled figures ;)) to bring area down so no PP required and then submitted to BC. He seemed to know what was needed. I think your architect was possible negligent.

Can you not get a "certificate of comfort" as in Scotland where the council will say it complied at the time it was built and they will not enforce.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Did you have the architect:
    a] Draw up the plans only
    b] Draw up the plans and submit them only
    c] Be involved in everything to the point where he saw the final result/kitchen finished?

It's quite possible that somebody might engage an architect for [a] and [a]/, but if they didn't understand/pick up on further stages and the importance of building regs. It's possible that the architect assumes the client has gone elsewhere or can't afford it. It'd be for the client to contact the architect and say "Hey - OK, good to go ... what's next?". If the architect was performing [c] then it's clearly the architect's error.

As for the builder, a lot of builders will build what you tell them. What paperwork was the builder working from? Which set of drawings? Who was instructing them/making decisions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure