need desperate help for dental

Hi,
im a 27 single male in the uk.

i currently work in landscaping, however recently work has been slow, and if im not on a site working, i don't get paid.

its been a month since i had a paycheck, and i have £50 in the bank.

i have desperately been seeking new work around me but to no luck so far,

but onto my problem, i have bad teeth. extremely painful teeth.

on the right side of my mouth i have 3 broken teeth, and 3 chipped teeth, on the left side i have 1 hole in a tooth, and 1 chipped tooth.

everyday is a fight for pain relief, i take pain killers, swish whiskey in my mouth, everything, it controls my life. i cant eat any food i want, i have to consider spices, temperature ect, because the wrong food will have me in cold sweats all night.

But i don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, when i look at free NHS it says i have to be on jobseekers, which i cant be as technically i am employed.

for the treatment i need, the NHS cost site says it will be about £200, money i just don't have.

although i am debt free, i have a bad credit history and cannot apply for loans, and i dare ask for a payment plan with my current work predicament.

i spoke to my boss, and he doesn't see me getting any new work till jan if im lucky.

I have no quality of life at the moment, i cant go out, i can't even relax, everyday is just pure pain.

i thank you for reading this, I don't know what i am seeking, as i don't even know what i should be looking for, I just need some help, whether there's some scheme i don't know about, or some benefits, or emergency dental help, i don't know, i just need to solve this pain.

Comments

• miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    You can apply for help due to your low income, more info here.

What does your employment contract say about your hours? It sounds like you either are not being paid correctly, or you are in fact entitled to JSA.
  • i dont have a "contract" as such.

basically i was on JSA and was finding it hard to find work. my friend owns a landscaping company, so gave me work for him, so i signed off JSA.

I had to give my bank details & NI number + tax codes, and i am currently taxed, which is why i thought that would stop me joining JSA.
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    If you are working less than sixteen hours a week, and you earn less than £75ish, you will be eligible for JSA. If you work some weeks and do not others, you can sign on for the weeks you do not (you would have to do a rapid reclaim each time you go over the thresholds).
  • would that be over a certain period? because sometimes i worked 60 hours a week for a few months, then nothing. and there's been chunks of time between ( rainy days, no work ect ).
  • Emergency treatment is only £17. So if you are in a lot of pain/have an infection call your local emergency NHS dentist.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • Sign on for Jobseekers and then you have to try to find a NHS dentist who is taking on in your area. In my city we have a dental advice line and they will tell you who is currently taking on patients.
    Hopefully you will be lucky and find a dentist with vacancies.
    If you are in a lot of pain and cant wait is there a dental hospital you can go to?.They will do emergency work to get you out of pain but wont sort out all your teeth. Severe dental pain can be a very serious.
    After you get it sorted you need to go for regular check ups so that you dont end up with a lot of dental problems again.I've had lots of dental problems and I know it can be horrible.Good luck with it.
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    you are also entitled to working tax credit which will give you nhs exemption ring up monday and put in a claim for it.
  • thank you all for advise. I have thought about making an appointment to an emergency dentist, but i thought that would cost a fortune, but £17 sounds pretty good, il phone up on monday anyway about the tax credits, i tried calling earlier but they are closed today. Ty all, il update this post on monday when i have info.
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    Do you have a dental hospital close by?

They are free to all and often have emergency clinics.
  • if you go to your local job center they will be able to give you some advice, my partner was working part time because he was claiming jsa he had to send all wage slips in, by the sound of things you should be able to do the same, not 100% sure but I think you can earn £20 a week on top off jsa so if your not working at mo you should be able to put in a claim, also if you go to see your dr they might be able to refer you for treatment on the nhs with a local dentist, i.e childrens center dentist.

best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport