Guaranteed Finance

Options
I applied for finance today as I am purchasing a caravan.

I read that I had to pay a 20% deposit. The company said that they wanted 25% as this was the rate for guaranteed credit. I left the 25% as I thought that it meant that I would definitely get the finance for my holiday home that I so desperately want.

I have been reading about guaranteed credit and it does not appear to mean what I thought it meant. Can someone clarify what this means please? If they apply for credit using this method does it affect my credit rating negatively?

I am now worried that I was too hasty in leaving such a large deposit. If the finance does not go through there should be no issue with me getting my money back should there?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It means they will find someone to offer finance although the interest will be eyewatering.

So when its rotted into the ground and your still paying for it dont be surprised.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why a caravan ?

You really sire you want a caravan, you will use it a few times and get board of it and you will be stuck with it and paying for the finance unless you sell it and make a loss.
  • amled
    amled Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Because I need a bolt hole to escape to as I struggle through the next 8 years to retirement. the amount of mortgage I can get is insufficient to buy bricks and mortar.
  • amled
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for this.

I will contact them tomorrow and let them know that I am not interested in such credit as when I asked it the response did not discuss interest rates above what is mentioned in the brochure.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    amled wrote: »
    Because I need a bolt hole to escape to as I struggle through the next 8 years to retirement. the amount of mortgage I can get is insufficient to buy bricks and mortar.

When did all this occur ?

Is this a continuation or related to your earlier thread 4 days ago ?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you cannot save for a deposit to buy a home how will you afford the payments on a loan for a caravan?

Is this a tourer you tow around or a static on a campsite or parkhome?

Dont forget there maybe council tax and utility bills to pay and when the van gets to a certain age they say get it off my land its too old.
    But you will still be paying for it.

Then you need to find a couple of thousand £ to move it and resite it. Or they will offer to buy it off you for £50 when you will still owe many thousands.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• amled
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I sorted that out and I will be receiving a refund, in 28 days.

Today, I found the caravan, view, sit all that I want. Then the guaranteed loan thing threw me.
  • amled
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The deposit on a home in London where I have commitments is out of reach with the average house/flat price £650.000.

Even if I had the deposit, I do not qualify for a mortgage over £90.000 due to my earnings

Even if I did manage to save a deposit in the next 15 years, I would be too old to get a mortgage

I have missed the boat unless, in year and a half when my commitments re no longer, I get a job abroad in a tax free state/
  • amled
    First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no age requirement on the site re static caravans.
  • Dribiddi
    Dribiddi Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2017 at 8:12AM
    Options
    The negativity and snootiness of this forum is unbelievable at times
    The OP had a question about a form of credit, wasn't asking for an interrogation of their life's circumstances, I'm sure he/she is more than capable of exploring the pros and cons of living from a caravan and what goes with.
    OP good luck I hope you find suitable living arrangements
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport