Financial advice on living as a couple. One student, One in full time work.

Options
Hi there!

So in January I (30) am moving to live with my partner (34) in Hereford (where he will have started University in Sept)

He has already done his financial questioniarre for maintainence loan based on his last years income and so is getting the full wack this coming year. He is also looking to work in the evenings and/or weekends.

We're going to be living in a rented house, looking at around £600/700 a month

Next year he will have to take into account my income, so I want to get some advice on whether it would be best for me to work part time? full time? is there any benefits I can claim if I work part time?
We'd just like to be comfortable all round, and I'd like it if he didn't have to work so much himself so that he can concentrate on his degree and do as well as he can.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

:j

Comments

• Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    Leonieyogi wrote: »
    Hi there!

So in January I (30) am moving to live with my partner (34) in Hereford (where he will have started University in Sept)

He has already done his financial questioniarre for maintainence loan based on his last years income and so is getting the full wack this coming year. He is also looking to work in the evenings and/or weekends.

We're going to be living in a rented house, looking at around £600/700 a month

Next year he will have to take into account my income, so I want to get some advice on whether it would be best for me to work part time? full time? is there any benefits I can claim if I work part time?
    We'd just like to be comfortable all round, and I'd like it if he didn't have to work so much himself so that he can concentrate on his degree and do as well as he can.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

:j

Going completely on the tiny amount of detail you've wanted to give - It's best if you work full-time and your boyfriend part time.

There are no benefits for a lifestyle choice such as the situation you describe.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Are you currently working? If so how many hours and on what income? Will there be any children living with you? Any disabilities.
  • Leonieyogi
    Options
    I am currently working a 9-5 at £18,000 a year, there will be no children and we have no disabilities.

:-)
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Your income alone would be too high for any working tax credits. I would see no benefit in you working part time, as an adult with no children, caring responsibilities or disabilities there's no reason why you shouldn't work full time.

Other posters may know if any help is possible with rent or council tax.
  • Leonieyogi
    Options
    This is the income I am earning now but It will/may be different up in Hereford, I currently live in Newbury and it seems to be much cheaper to rent in Hereford but I'm assuming income will therefore be lower too.

Yes it would be good to know if there is any discount on council tax, similar to when you are a single renter.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    he should get a form for exemption from council tax as a full time student so you will get a 25% reduction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure