Tax credit overpayment paid but payments not recalculated

I really appreciate some advice on this or ppl experiences. I previously posted a thread about my overpayment/ disregard which I accepted. The overpayment is currently taken weekly from existing award. I have paid the full overpayment of £830 but the recovery of the overpayment is still being taken from me weekly. I have asked hmrc agents to recalculate my payments minus overpayment but no one knows what to do. I even asked to speak to a manager but fobbed off with a 48 hour call back. I would like some advice on this on what I should do next. Its really saddens me this whole experience & how I've been treated by hmrc.

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    How long ago did you repay it? Have they confirmed they received it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I paid in full last Friday and they confirmed to me they have received payment yet no one knows if my payments will get recalculated.
  • Darksparkle
    They will be yes but I wouldn't have expected it to be have been done that quickly. Your post made it sound like you had repaid a while ago.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    proffk wrote: »
    I paid in full last Friday and they confirmed to me they have received payment yet no one knows if my payments will get recalculated.

So you were paying it back from your existing award and you think that it has all been repaid?

Your award notice should have said something about your payments going back up if that is the case. It normally wouldn't trigger a recalculation.

What is on your last award notice in the payments section? if you put that on here iwe might be able to explain it further
  • Darksparkle
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    So you were paying it back from your existing award and you think that it has all been repaid?

Your award notice should have said something about your payments going back up if that is the case. It normally wouldn't trigger a recalculation.

What is on your last award notice in the payments section? if you put that on here iwe might be able to explain it further

I thought OP meant they made a direct payment to pay back the overpayment.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think OP is jumping the gun here...made the repayment of the overpayment on Friday and expects that the new calculation/award notice with the overpayment deduction removed would have been completed by the Monday
  • Icequeen99
    I thought OP meant they made a direct payment to pay back the overpayment.

Maybe i've misunderstood - she says in the OP that it was taken weekly from her existing award.

If an award notice is issued, it can't be a decision that carries appeal rights as there has been no change of circumstances that would be needed under s.15.

Normally payment schedules are set on the earlier award notice and so there shouldn't be any re-adjustment needed by anyone, the system would calculate it. It doesn't really make sense to me - no wonder the helpline staff were confused. No adjustment is needed. If the OP posts the payment section from her last award notice that might clear it up.

IQ
  • Darksparkle
    Maybe i've misunderstood - she says in the OP that it was taken weekly from her existing award.

If an award notice is issued, it can't be a decision that carries appeal rights as there has been no change of circumstances that would be needed under s.15.

Normally payment schedules are set on the award notice and so there shouldn't be any re-adjustment needed by anyone, the system would calculate it. It doesn't really make sense to me.

IQ

Yes it was being taken from the existing award however I think OP has made a direct payment last Friday to repay it in full and stop the recovery. That's how it sounds to me anyway.
  • Icequeen99
    Yes it was being taken from the existing award however I think OP has made a direct payment last Friday to repay it in full and stop the recovery. That's how it sounds to me anyway.

Ah yes, i see it could be read that way. Quite unusual for TCO I suspect!

I assume if someone on the helpline was able to take a payment then there must be a process for adjusting that on the award.

IQ
  • Darksparkle
    Ah yes, i see it could be read that way. Quite unusual for TCO I suspect!

I assume if someone on the helpline was able to take a payment then there must be a process for adjusting that on the award.

IQ

There's details on the gov page on how to make a direct payment and once received they make a payment adjustment but from memory it takes far longer than 4 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure