Payment on account- housing benefit

Hi guys,
I've got a question about housing benefit. I've had an ongoing claim for the last few years. Due to a glitch they stopped it in May. I've submitted all the information they've asked for, but they still haven't reassessed my claim. They have a huge backlog due to changing computer systems but surely over three months is an excessive wait? I've had no housing benefit at all in this time but the council don't care. I asked for a payment on account but the council don't know what this is! I lost my job in June due to ill health so I am entirely dependent on benefits. The council are totally unhelpful- does anyone have any bright ideas?

Comments

• Nat656 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I've got a question about housing benefit. I've had an ongoing claim for the last few years. Due to a glitch they stopped it in May. I've submitted all the information they've asked for, but they still haven't reassessed my claim. They have a huge backlog due to changing computer systems but surely over three months is an excessive wait? I've had no housing benefit at all in this time but the council don't care. I asked for a payment on account but the council don't know what this is! I lost my job in June due to ill health so I am entirely dependent on benefits. The council are totally unhelpful- does anyone have any bright ideas?

Payment on account
    6.158 If you cannot decide a claim within 14 days of receiving the claim, you must consider making
    a payment on account. It is not the claimant’s responsibility to ask for a payment on account
    and you must not wait for them to ask.
    6.159 A payment on account
    • must be made if the claim cannot be decided and this is not because the claimant has failed
    to provide, without good cause, evidence reasonably needed and requested
    • must not be made if
    - you do not consider that a payment on account is appropriate because the claim will
    probably be decided and paid within the 14 days. If the claim is not decided within 14
    days you must reconsider your decision immediately, or
    - it is clear from the information already available there will be no entitlement to benefit,
    or
    - you cannot decided the claim within 14 days because the claimant has failed, without
    good cause, to provide evidence or information which you reasonably need and have
    requested

Payment on account is appropriate
    6.160 If you decide a payment on account is appropriate, make a payment
    • based on whatever information is available on for example level of rent, number of
    non-dependants, and
    HB Reg 93 & (SPC) 74
    • which seems reasonable given what is known of the claimant’s circumstances
    6.161 A claimant cannot be held responsible for delays in receiving
    • confirmation of IS, JSA(IB), ESA(IR) or Pension Credit (guarantee credit) entitlement from
    the local DWP office
    • confirmation of conditions of entry or stay in Great Britain from the Home Office
    • decisions from the rent officer

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236955/hbgm-a6-deciding-and-paying-benefit.pdf
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Contact your local councillor?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure