Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shredders are amazing at reducing huge amounts of garden waste to very little. My dad has an electric one but it does tend to sit in the garage between use. The ex has a petrol one which is efficient and can be wheeled around to different parts of a garden, but unfortunately doesn't fold down.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Oooh - thanks Honeysucklelou2! Based on that I think maybe an electric one as space is limited - any recommendations as to make? (And thank you for reading through a massive screed!)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    So the final May signature read:

31 days in May...
    NSDs 12/12, Exercise 11/12, Housekeeping 179.89/177.14 overspend of £2.74

...and I have £22.86 to spend on housekeeping from now till Saturday, as the week was inconsiderate enough to span 2 months. To save explaining it all over again at some point, I think I'll just count these first few days as May housekeeping which sounds like a bit of a cheat as potentially it puts me back in the black. :D So for the next few days we have a holding pattern and June starts on 5th. :)

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,655 Forumite
    Will ask my dad which make...
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 2 June 2017 at 10:27PM
    2nd
    NSD, no run.

Annoyingly, the regular mortgage payment left my account with H yesterday and hasn't appeared in the mortgage account - also with H - yet. I can't even get hold of them to ask why not, as they are only open while I'm at work tomorrow - so it will be either 2 or 4 days late.

• Cherryfudge
    edited 5 June 2017 at 12:04PM
    Funny day today, I was supposed to spend much of it at work but I wasn't needed later so I had a couple of extra hours off. Caught up on here - and found H bank has decided to acknowledge the mortgage payment they took the other day: it's now where it should be and dated 1st June. :) I think they are just slow to update their online banking.

We went for a run this evening which was most enjoyable.

I have started a rather ambitious scheme to do something about the state of the kitchen walls, which have been a mishmash of new paint (from a tester pot), old paint (probably 20+ years), very old paint (thinking 1970s?), a couple of layers of 'when the house was new' (1930s) and tiles which look like 1960s.

I thought it was time for a change.

The thing is... I know nothing about decorating beyond paintwork. There is some rough plastering where the new electrics went in but it wasn't finished 'nicely' as it was a stop-gap because we knew we needed to do something drastic. That was at least 18 months ago... DH says he doesn't see the mess (he sees other messes that I don't) but anyway we trogged into town and bought things to make the walls better.

Part one has been filling gaps and trying to smooth the plaster. Clearing up after that took some doing, especially as there's probably lead in some of the older paint so I've tried to find every tiny flake. Part two will be washing the bits that didn't need plastering, then I'm going to try to wall paper, and once that's done, a coat of paint or two will at least make it look somewhat as if it were meant.

I'm not sure I'll be able to do any more tomorrow as DS is on another night shift and will need peace and quiet to sleep, and later in the day I'm working too.

Spends:
    Decorating materials (household) £16.05
    Housekeeping £11.60 plus whatever DH spent on meat for tomorrow: we may just come in on budget.
    ebook £0.99

MS stuff:
    Um...

• Cherryfudge
    NSD, no run. :)

• Would love to give you lots of expert advice on decorating, but I have absolutely no useful ideas. YouTube is my friend when it comes to DIY stuff though! We've been working on the front of our house and it really is so pleasing to see it improve, it's very rewarding.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • charlies_tribe
    charlies_tribe Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Morning. Well done on the wedding shopping, hope the shoes matched ok.

I could do with some exercise. I bought all the running stuff last year with my Christmas money... Its all still got tags on!! Not even sure it will fit now. I have been walking to work more often but not sure it's doing much.

I cant help with the decorating either, I tried to paint our hall a few years ago, didn't go well and dh re painted it.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    Thanks both :).

Today looks like being another NSD and another no-run day. I got up really looking forward to a run but it was raining and I haven't yet braved the rain despite DD's assurance that running in the rain is fab. It's cleared up now but I'm in the middle of cooking and once that's done there's only a bit of time before work.

I set out to make pasta to take to work and was part way through when I realised I'd already defrosted something so I'm now having that as a late lunch... did a partial sort f the fridge which may save a couple of ingredients but there's so much 'other people's stuff' there that I haven't sorted it entirely.

I doubt I will have any personal spending today (haven't finished my book yet!) but if DS gets his act together I will be booking flights for him - which gets me supermarket points on my CC but will probably be my biggest CC spend ever and while the money is there to pay it off (phew), I don't know where I stand if for some reason the flights have to change. The reason he's delayed isn't actually his fault: he applied for the leave in September but his course allocates two tranches of leave and doesn't actually tell students which one they fall into until near the time! Not even for a family wedding.

I'll amend this post if I spend anything.

I tried to be MS by buying some train tickets ahead of time and while I found a discount, it's only on a single fare and as I need a return, the tickets I usually get still seem to be the cheapest.

Hopefully a fuller post tomorrow though I'm on shift tonight and tomorrow's a bit busy.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport