Royal Mail: When does a letter become a small packet when posting outside uk?

Hello,

I sell small spare parts for hobbyists on eBay. The items are low value, generally small and light and a few items each week are sent abroad, mostly to Australia.

My question revolves around the definitions of letters and packets with respect to these overseas sales.

There are three scenarios which in the UK are processed like this...

1. Flat and thin items, such as washers, can be packed between a sheet of paper and placed in an envelope which is less than 5mm thick. This is sent as a LETTER.

2. Slightly thicker items (over 5mm and less than 25mm) are protected between two sheets of card, placed in an envelope and sent as a LARGE LETTER.

3. Fragile items that need a bit more bubble wrap are packed in a thin box (less than 25mm). Although these look more like a packet to me they are sent as a LARGE LETTER.

However, the situation for items to be sent abroad seems to vary depending who serves me at the Post Office. So, sometimes my letter is sent as a letter and others as a packet. The counter staff have not managed to give me a straight answer regarding definitions and I can find nothing on the Royal Mail website.

Given Royal Mail’s forthcoming large price increases my 20g ‘letter’ to ‘world zone 2’ could cost £1.28 if accepted as a letter or a whopping £3.30 if it is seen as a small packet.

Clearly this makes setting P&P within eBay a hazardous task :)

Does anyone out there know what the letter/packet definitions are?

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A letter is…
    Over the size of 140mm x 90mm.
    Under 245mm x 165mm.
    No more than 5mm thick.
    Less than 100g.

http://www.royalmail.com/small-medium-business/international-business/international-contract-services-portfolio/international-letters/details
  • redmower3
    redmower3 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply. :)

I guess I didn't think to look in the small and medium business section.

So, does this mean if it's under 5mm it's still a letter whether or not there are in fact 'goods' inside?

cheers

Mick
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    should do. as per the UK system
    it doesnt matter what the item is,as long as it meets the size/weight criteria
  • My local PO woman the other day told me to send a 30mm thick international package as a letter as it was very light, so letter worked out cheaper than small packets. I think it's literally whichever is cheapest according to my PO.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My local PO woman the other day told me to send a 30mm thick international package as a letter as it was very light, so letter worked out cheaper than small packets. I think it's literally whichever is cheapest according to my PO.

Mine always used to say the same.

However on the community boards last month a seller stated that it was fraud to send a 'letter' if it contained purchased goods- so in a panic I checked with my sorting office and they told me not to be daft. They assured me I could just send it however it worked out cheaper, and on occasions when I have run out of stamps and paypal postage isn't working they stamp it for me at the cheapest rate.

I do still worry a bit as the community board seller was quite adamant
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    It's which ever is cheaper for the ordinary punter.
    The rules are mind blowing. If a large packet contains a letter which does not specifically refer to the contents being sent, you have to charge letter rate. Obviously dearer for big packets.
    So if anyone decides to charge you for a packet, and it's cheaper as a letter, just say there's a letter in it.
  • MarkLS12
    MarkLS12 Posts: 243 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    it doesnt matter what the item is,as long as it meets the size/weight criteria

Thanks for that, up to now my assumption had been that ...

sending 'goods' outside the EU would need a customs declaration CN22 and that anything that needs a CN22 would not be a 'letter' even if it met the letter size and weight conditions.
  • P3dro
    P3dro Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Size doesn't matter for Airmail regarding packet or letter.

A Letter Contains personal correspondence.

A Packer contains goods and may not contain personal correspondence other than relating to the goods.

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/delivery-options-international/airmail/details
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    I do still worry a bit as the community board seller was quite adamant

Somebody on a forum who can't distinguish between fact and opinion?
    Who'd a thunk it?!
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • MarkLS12
    MarkLS12 Posts: 243 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2012 at 10:36AM
    P3dro wrote: »
    A Letter Contains personal correspondence.

A Packer contains goods and may not contain personal correspondence other than relating to the goods.

I think the rules around this may change anyway as on the page you linked to:
    http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/delivery-options-international/airmail/details
    it says small packet is "a cheaper rate" than letters, which is true right now, but won't be from Monday when the rates change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure