Bought Laptop from PC World, now faulty

HI All

I bought a hp 13-s150sa from PC world in feb 2016. It is faulty and it seems to be the motherboard. I took it back to get them to fix it and they just looked at the model number and said we are unable to fix issues with this model, sorry.

I took it somewhere else and they confirmed it is the motherboard and that it has been discontinued. He said he can source another one at a price of £170 and £60 for him then to fit it. This seems like a high price for a fairly new laptop.

I am looking for advice on this matter, do I just pay the money, or contact HP to see if they can do something for free, or would I be better buying a new laptop.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    HI All

I bought a hp 13-s150sa from PC world in feb 2016. It is faulty and it seems to be the motherboard. I took it back to get them to fix it and they just looked at the model number and said we are unable to fix issues with this model, sorry.

I took it somewhere else and they confirmed it is the motherboard and that it has been discontinued. He said he can source another one at a price of £170 and £60 for him then to fit it. This seems like a high price for a fairly new laptop.

I am looking for advice on this matter, do I just pay the money, or contact HP to see if they can do something for free, or would I be better buying a new laptop.

Thanks in advance
    Have a read of MSE's Consumer Rights guide.
    In there you will see that you have up to six years from the sale to seek a remedy from the seller.

I would suggest that you get a board guide to move this thread to The Consumer Rights Board for further opinions.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    hp 13-s150sa
    check warranty status (just in case its 2 years?)
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-13-s100-x360-convertible-pc/8499316/model/9044220/manuals

If it is outside warranty, you face a long hard slog with PC World to get anything back. Have you got the time, patience, resilience? Go for it!
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Hi

My HP has a lot of HP stuff stuffed in with it. Diagnostics for instance.

You don't say much about the fault, and PC World having a hands off approach is not unexpected. The local PC place have confirmed the motherboard fault and given a cost to repair, so maybe it is the motherboard. Maybe something else.

HP (https://support.hp.com/ie-en/product/hp-pavilion-13-s100-x360-convertible-pc/8499316/model/9044220/troubleshooting)
    may be more fruitful.

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Pavilion-13-s100-x360-Convertible-PC/8499316/model/9044220

If in doubt please ask.
  • SalarySlave
    SalarySlave Posts: 91
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Guys

Sorry for the long wait before my reply, but I did not want to post anything until I had news. I have been spending a lot of time lately on the phone with PC world lately and today I finally have some good news. PC world have agreed to send me a voucher for a depreciated value of £291.43. Although not as high as some calculations, this is an amount I am willing to accept.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice, especially to DavidP24.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    PC world have agreed to send me a voucher for a depreciated value of £291.43.
    Well done. Must have been hard work.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,855
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sadly I don't agree with the chaps above , I would want a cheque for the £291.43 I don't think that it is acceptable for them to expect you to spend more money on their poor service, or is that just me since my knowledge of consumer law is non-existant
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Well, at least you know now not to shop at Currys again.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well, at least you know now not to shop at Currys again.

???

How else will the OP spend a Currys voucher/gift card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure