Who exactly are Lowri Beck & why are they so DESPERATE to change our meter?

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,329
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    rogerblack wrote: »
    Meter change is not optional if your meter has exceeded its service life.
    (typically >20 years)

When the meter needs changing at the end of it`s life, as you well know, you DON`T have to accept a smart meter.

Even if this is the only type available (which I doubt) you do not have to have it switched on to send information.
    It can be used as a normal meter.

The government backed down on the fitting of these because of concern over cost and privacy.

They are OPTIONAL.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    For the past 3 months 'Lowri Beck' have been calling/mailing almost every week to change our electricity meter for free.

Initially when they called they claimed to be working for British Gas - we weren't with British Gas so ignored their requests. Now they claim to be working for NPower (our current supplier).

The letters states that their records show that our meter is over 7 years old (which it isn't) and the rules state that it must be changed. They said that it is free because 'NPower covers the costs'.

Called NPower who were clueless and said that if a third party charge them for a meter change without their authorization they will charge us.

Lowri Beck told us this is incorrect and continue with the calls and letters.

Whilst we wouldn't mind getting our meter changed, we have no idea why this company are being so persistent ... or why NPower have completely no idea who they are.

I had something sililar once with British Gas. They claimed they knew nothing about Siemens wanting to change my gas meter (despite siemens letter saying 'working in conjunction with British Gas).
    I raised a formal complaint with BG, who eventually agreed the meter did need changing.

I suggest you raise a formal dispute with nPower.
    You will find they either suddenly agree it is an urgent requirement to change your meter or they will write confirming it is not necessary
    In the unlikely event they say there is no requirement to have your meter chnaged, then use this to tell 'Lowri Beck' to Foxtrot Oscar.

You will find the nPower complaint procedure on their website.
  • Strangerbird
    Strangerbird Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 May 2014 at 6:22PM
    Lowri Beck have just contacted us saying it is a legal requirement that the meter be changed. They claim to have got our details from NPower (which is the correct supplier) but they did not know our name and stated that their records showed the customer as 'vacant supply'. We have owned the property for 5 years and moved in the same day as the previous owners moved out. They mentioned that they do not send out letters but do everything on the phone. I have told them that we will respond when we have an official letter from NPower requesting the change. I take note of one of your earlier correspondents who said that a user could be charged by a supplier for any unauthorised change of meter.
  • swblonde wrote: »
    just a word of caution..lowri beck changed my meter in 2009. n Power have sent out readers and the last time was dec 2010. I have had problem after problem submitting my own readings as it is a 6 digit meter and n power have either asked me to drop the first or the last digit(depending on who I speak to from customer services)
    following a visit from lowri beck they now say i owe £1000 as i have used 13000 units since DEC. Even though i have been paying by DD and have been in credit according to the dual fuel bills they post online. I have records of the readings i have given to n Power in this time so dont think I have done anything wrong,it is clearly their mistake and they have been coming to read the meter and still getting it wrong. has anyone else had any issues like this?
    drop the last digit ( tenths of a unit ) never needed for domestic usually, but use the first five including leading zeros
  • Lowri Beck are entirely genuine, I worked for them in 1999 when they were a small meter reading company. They have branched out also into contract meter fitting on behalf of the Local Distributer , who will probably be Npower who are also suppliers. Whatever meter they want to fit now, it wont be in too long as Npower and all the others are starting to fit smart meters very soon, so you will be pestered again in a couple of years
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    drop the last digit ( tenths of a unit ) never needed for domestic usually, but use the first five including leading zeros

As that post was from June 2011 I guess they've sorted it by now :rotfl:
  • It annoys me when people get there facts wrong..I had my meter changed by Lowri Beck , they ARE a legitimate company ..they sub contractors to many suppliers and provide engineers on there behalf..its a free service as the suppliers DO own the meters and it is legal requirement as once the meter expires they cannot ensure efficiency.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It annoys me when people get there facts wrong..I had my meter changed by Lowri Beck , they ARE a legitimate company ..they sub contractors to many suppliers and provide engineers on there behalf..its a free service as the suppliers DO own the meters and it is legal requirement as once the meter expires they cannot ensure efficiency.
    The OP didn't get their facts wrong, they were simply cautious, as we all should be.

Just because somebody shows up at your door (or phones you) and says something needs doing, doesn't make it so.

Not being cautious is how people get conned!
  • What struck me about the contact from Lowri Beck, wanting to change the meter, was how unprofessional the whole thing seemed. Contact was made by telephone and a message left on the answering service. They didn't know our surname. They told me that the meter was the property of NPower. Hence if it is owned by Npower, why would I allow it to be changed by any Tom, !!!!!! or Harry who phones up? Why can't Npower send an official letter, notifying us that we will be contacted by someone, and requesting us to give them every assistance?
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What struck me about the contact from Lowri Beck, wanting to change the meter, was how unprofessional the whole thing seemed. Contact was made by telephone and a message left on the answering service. They didn't know our surname. They told me that the meter was the property of NPower. Hence if it is owned by Npower, why would I allow it to be changed by any Tom, !!!!!! or Harry who phones up? Why can't Npower send an official letter, notifying us that we will be contacted by someone, and requesting us to give them every assistance?
    Exactly, well worth being cautious!

Contacting Npower was the best course of action, whether their advice was any good I couldn't say, but it was Npower. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure