❄❄ Let It Snow ❄❄ :: Christmas 2012 Chatter Thread

Gleek
Gleek Posts: 710
First Post
Forumite

event.png

ETA: Hi all :) To save confusion, this is just a thread to discuss general christmas natterings and to whip up festive excitement as there are loads of us who just want to chat all year round about Christmas and don't want to fill the forum up with Christmas threads and annoy everyone else when it's only May :rotfl: All Festive discussion for crafts, organising and saving money are available in this forum :) :xmastree:

I was searching for a pre-existing thread that would cover nattering about general Christmas-stuff but couldn't find one and didn't want to step on crafty peoples footsteps. I tend to get a little obsessed with all things Christmas :o
:xmastree: WLTM: Other Christmas obsessed people to
share ideas, gossip, present suggestions
and all manner of other Christmas musings
. :xmastree:

Generally a little Christmas crazy and since January I've been gradually buying presents and other little bits to try and make this Christmas fantastic again (same excuse as last year ;) This year has been awful already and it's only April/May!!)

The only people still to buy for are:
Mum
Grandad
My babies (2 dogs & parrot :o)
Brothers BIL
Brothers FIL
Brothers SIL's dog (I know, I know)
3 neighbours dogs and 1 neighbours cats
2 neighbours present
1 friends dog

The friends/neighbours dogs and/or cats are easy, they'll be a squeaky toy or packet of treats each.

Grandad will likely be some clothing as he tends to stain/rip/ruin everything magically :rotfl: and other Man Utd related bits and pieces like toothbrushes/keyrings/flannels etc. Presents need to be practical for him as otherwise they're untouched and ignored due to his dementia.

My dogs/parrot: Treats and toys and prob a new blanket each.

Mum: She never wants anything big so she gets lots and lots of little things that she wants/needs.

Neighbours present: Usually a large box of chocs from Thorntons when they do the 5 for £20 offer. Keep the others as emergency presents and 1 to open and leave for anyone who wants one on Christmas Eve.

Brothers FIL and BIL. These are a little more tricky. Probably something whisky related for the FIL but I'm still pondering over the BIL...It'll come to me :D

I've also bought some little die cut boxes to turn into my mums advent calendar. They're not huge so I have allowed myself to place gift cards in the box with 'see present #5' for example. Due to the small size of the box I've been a little lazy and got quite a few jewellery ideas. Being a little more inventive now :)

We have always wanted to go to the panto so have that booked as part of the advent calendar. If you can book this early I highly recommend it! Admittedly our town is a little quiet place and they haven't announced who it is who it is in it yet - but they have opened tickets. Have front row tickets because of it and noone else has booked anywhere for my date yet according to the seat planner. Christmas Eve and Boxing Day also have front row and everywhere else available too so it's well worth going ahead :)

I have to admit that this is the absolute earliest I've been planning and I'm really happy with how it's going and I'm still managing to save at least a tenner a week and not touching it to get all these extra bits so - all being well - Christmas should be fab :)

I'm jealous of everyone who can make beautiful crafty things, I'm far too clumsy to be that co-ordinated and neat :rotfl: It was hard enough gluing the boxes together for the advent calendar :rotfl:

Roll on December :T Happy Christmas, all ;) :xmastree:
Princess Sparklepants

Comments

• rachel90
    rachel90 Posts: 306
    First Post
    Forumite
    Wow you are very organised!!
    I don't like buying gifts too early as people always change their minds and knowing my family, they tend to just buy what they want so I usually start late september/early october which is still much earlier than everyone else I know!
    This year, I'm planning on making a few hampers. My granparents will get a large hamper, will do a smaller one for my parents and my fiance's parents to go with their other 'usual' gifts.
    My sister is expecting a baby in July and I have bought a few books to keep to one side for the baby for Christmas as he won't have an opinion on what he wants for the next few years so thats easy.

I love Christmas though!!! I'm looking for more cheap gift ideas really, don't wany to spend too much this year!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    :snow_grin:snow_lauggreat minds think alike ! Ive ordered some books today for my mum.
    we have decided to stop buying for some family members , we don't see them from one year to the next so Ive written to them telling them not to buy for us as we wont be buying for them.
    the people we buy for now are ;
    mum-finished
    dad-finished
    daughter-
    husband-
  • lizzie_b
    lizzie_b Posts: 527
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wow...am I glad to see this little thread pop up :)
    I absolutely love Christmas, and I'm already wondering what to get people and how I can do a beautiful Christmas with at the least expense possible.
    I am intending to get a little bit crafty but the majority of gifts will be shop bought I expect as I'm not the most creative of people.
    It must be time to get some planning done :)
    xxxx
    Little Monkey Born 26.08.14
  • joe_purdy
    joe_purdy Posts: 302 Forumite
    Im another big christmas fan, not really bought many presents yet apart from a few bits in the sales but did get all wrapping paper, cards, tags etc. Ive been doing surveys online since jan to get vouchers so they will come in very hand towards buying presents :)
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Hiya - our christmas starts to be planned on boxing day with Boots sales

theres already a similar thread on MSE

This one

and the sister thread

here which makes the money to spend:D

I have already started making things

here and here they`re easy to make , cheap and fun;)

having more threads for christmas suits me, I follow all of them. Sounds like you`ve made a great start and nowadays, I find you have to start early to get the bargains. I tend to do some surveys or ebay bits , make some money and then use on net to buy presents. That way it can be money neutral:T
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • Nanamia
    Nanamia Posts: 1,603
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wooo hooo I love this forum. How wonderful a new thread:) I've not been a member long but lurked last Christmas and was so so impressed. Im glad to be in from the start this year. I too love Christmas, it's planning and in particular Christmas Eve.

I made Christmas Eve hampers last year, they were so lovely to do but worked out a bit expensive cos I didn't have time to search for bargains and did it last minute. I started with the Christmas sales this year :)

As for Christmas pressies, decorations etc I've been squirrelling away since:) This week I got a Nike bag (SIL) and swarovski element pencils(BFF) -thanks to the OP on the Grabbit board and Freebies board.
    Almost forgot sent for a Bear Grylls book (Freebies board OP big thank yous)
    This weekend I was supposed to sort out my 'lists' and get a dedicated note book (I'm geeky and love lists!) One of the lovelies on another board is gonna pm a spreadsheet to keep up with who's got what and how much!

This year I will be ORGANISED and enjoy the run up to Christmas, my ideal is to be ready and wrapped etc so I can enjoy the festivities go for coffee and mince pies with my friend, browse the Christmas markets with my DH and aargh oooo at the Christmas lights with my DGDs.

I'm subscribing to this thread and will be watching and waiting to share ideas. Thank you so much. X
    The secret of Christmas
    It's not the things you do at Christmastime
    But the Christmas things you do
    All year through

• midnightraven3
    midnightraven3 Posts: 2,720
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    we already have a christmas 2012 thread in this section, with lots of ideas posted on it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3697655

maybe a pink could merge this one onto it?, we had several threads last year and it got very confusing for a lot of posters
  • Nanamia
    Nanamia Posts: 1,603
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I see what you mean Midnightraven3 but think the idea is general festive chat :) who can have tooooo much Christmas?
    The secret of Christmas
    It's not the things you do at Christmastime
    But the Christmas things you do
    All year through

• midnightraven3
    midnightraven3 Posts: 2,720
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    sorry :o

last year a lot of posters got very confused where to find something and where they had already posted, it became a bit of a mess :(
  • lizzie_b
    lizzie_b Posts: 527
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think by keeping this a more festive chatty type place rather than crafty ideas or moneymaking/saving ideas like the others we'll be ok?
    Just general chit chat on what we've bought, seen or planning?
    xxxx
    Little Monkey Born 26.08.14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family