Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    floss a few parents at school joked about 'chicken pox parties'. I'm surprised mine have only just caught it - they've both been to nursery since they were under one plus have have lots of contact with other children who have had it.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maman wrote: »
    I commented on the strap feeling too tight indie but as the fitter pointed out I'm used to wearing old, stretched bras and the new one will give a bit with washing. LL's famous attention to posture is important too.;)

I decided to book another appointment at Bravissimo, I though it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another fitter, and I am really glad I did. I was concerned not only about how tight the band was but also how loose the cups seemed. The fitter tried me in a 34F which was less uncomfortable than the 32G and she said it will still tight enough. However, with the cups still being the same size, I still felt they looked a bit loose. Anyway, we tried the 34E instead and that was so much better - didn't make my breasts look deflated as I filled the cups properly. The good thing is that they agreed to exchange the one I had already worn, not just the ones I hadn't worn. Doubt I'd have got that service in M&S.

Out of curiosity I then took myself to M&S and tried on some bras in there, and sure enough 34E looked to be spot on. I got a pretty one in there with matching knickers. I suppose I could have got something along those lines in Bravissimo, but I haven't found knickers I like in there. I like M&S high legs as they come high enough up the torso that I don't get the dreaded overhanging belly that I would in a bikini type brief which is lower at the front. I also bought a bandeau style bra with removable straps as I bought an off the shoulder top the other weekend - there seem to be a lot of what they are calling Bardot tops about at the moment.

I ended up doing quite a lot of miles of walking today - over 25,000 steps, having walked to and from my yoga class and then from Covent Garden to Marylebone and then down to Oxford St and through Hyde Park, Green Park and St James Park before getting the tube at Westminster. Planning on doing some more walking tomorrow and have a yoga class booked in the park tomorrow, so will be making the most of the sunshine. Reckon I will sleep well tonight for all that walking!
  • I love a ceilidh maman!! Such good fun as well as good exercise. You need a good lively group and host though, otherwise people can start to look a bit grumpy and not want to join in, or at least in some of the ones I've been to!

I'm not surprised you're getting addicted to ceroc indie, it is so sociable and (for me at least) it felt like a whole new lease of life. I met such fabulous people and it was so easy to get chatting, plus you can go pretty much every night should you be lucky enough to live near a few groups. My current dance class is no longer part of the ceroc franchise but it's great nevertheless, although I only see what's happening on Facebook nowadays.

Sugarbaby, what a lovely thing to do for your brother, not just the cleaning but helping him update his kitchen. As you say other people have been commenting on it, but aren't willing/ able to roll their sleeves up and give him a hand!

I hope you are recovering well LL and enjoying some gentle fabbing..... pleased to hear that things are amicable with your sister, and that's no longer such a source of stress for you.

Things are a bit stressful for me as the boys are real sleep thieves at the moment - DS1 in particular is sometimes up three times a night for milk/ water - and OH is moaning about various things again. I tried to go out for a coffee with a friend on Monday evening - she's just split up with her boyfriend and I wanted to make sure she was ok - but he moaned so much about having to come home a bit early to look after the boys and that 'he was paying' for me to go out that I didn't bother :( he said that I'd only been out the day before, which to be fair I had, but only to Pizza Express with a friend and he took the boys for Sunday dinner at his mum's anyway! I've been out with friends a total of three times this year - the trip to London that I agonised over (cost about £30 including train fare), lunch at Ask with a friend (free as she had a voucher), and Pizza Express (cost £15). For comparison, he went out three times this week.....

I was thinking today about the reasons I overeat/ eat bad things and apart from craving sugar because I'm always so flipping tired, I also came up with:
    - what's the point in looking good because the boys don't care what I look like
    - no-one else sees me much and if they're a friend they don't care either what my weight is
    - I feel like my identity has changed from 'the slim fit one who goes to the gym a lot' to 'the one who stays at home all the time looking after babies'
    - OH is less than helpful in allowing me to go to the gym/ aerobics as I would desperately like to, and in generally making me feel ok about leaving the boys - he keeps saying I should leave them with his mum & dad more often, but if I do then he moans that I'm enjoying myself and spending all his money whilst he's at work.

Oh blimey, I could go on but it's turned into a real rant of a post, sorry!! At least that's clarified some of it in my mind. Now to work on turning it around into something positive.....!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the sunshine :cool:
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ah Ruby......I feel so frustrated for you.

I am going to ask you one simple question which you dont have to answer publicly but it is one which in all seriousness I think you need to ask yourself.

You need to be absolutely truthful with your answer because it will determine where you go from here.

The question is "do you love your husband"

It really is as simple as that.

If the answer is an unequivocable "yes" then you need to think about how to your make your relationship work - FOR BOTH OF YOU. This might mean putting some of your own needs and wants on hold for a while until the children are a little older.

If the answer is a definite "no" then you need to start planning a future without him. It might take a while before you can separate because of financial and logistical reasons.

If the answer is "don't know" then you will just have to ."wait and see".

I can fully understand your frustrations and I can vividly remember how difficult and tiring it can be with two little ones who don't sleep much. I was lucky in that my husband did try to help but he worked long hours and some times he worked away from home so that I did struggle.

We had also moved away from our respected families so I had no one I could ask for help. I often felt quite isolated and overwhelmed. I didn't have twins but they were close in age and I had the added burden of DS1 having quite severe asthma. There were times when I felt at my wits end.

All I can say is it does get easier. Eventually they will sleep, they will start nursery or school and you will start to get more time to yourself.

Do they still have such things as "baby sitting circles". This was a life saver for me. I actually enjoyed baby sitting for other people just as much as when they sat for us. It made a change.

Do you have any adult company other than your husband. Are there any mother and baby groups, toddler groups or playgroups in your area. Does your library do any story time sessions for mums and babies.

I know coffee mornings and the like aren't exactly exciting but they are at least a change of scene and you get a chance to talk to another adult.

Babies are lovely but they can be a bit wearing and no one should under estimate the exhaustion that goes with being a mum. Plus never forget you have twins (as if you could:rotfl:)

You have your hands full and you seem to have no help or support. No wonder you are struggling.

Sugarbaby.....what lovely thing you are doing for your brother.

I have DS2s girlfriend here so I had better grab a shower now before she gets up and hogs the bathroom. :rotfl: bless her but she spends hours in there so I need to nip in first. :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That was a heartfelt post ruby. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but I didn't like the comment about your DH 'allowing you' to go to the gym. I think you meant in a facilitating sense but the principle is the same. The way it comes across to me is that your DH is allowing the arrival of the babies to change your life completely. I think that's probably because he feels he is doing his bit as he's become the sole breadwinner plus the other disruptions to his daily life whereas you can stay at home and all you have to do is look after the children.

I understand what you mean about 'no one else sees you' so what's the point in looking good. I think it does matter because it's for you and your self esteem not for everyone else. I'm sure you know you'd feel better if you ate more healthily, exercised and lost some weight. Treating tiredness with a quick sugar hit isn't the best way although it may feel comforting at the time.

Three things that worked for me.

I had just two years as a SAHM and I grabbed every opportunity to be me rather than mum IYSWIM. I was delighted after 2 years to put DD in a nursery and get back to work. In those two years my MIL looked after DD for a day every week. She loved having her all to herself and I usually met a friend for lunch or whatever I fancied. We frequently went out at weekends with my mother or MIL babysitting or used a babysitting circle (yes, they were good LL). Midweek I'd go out for the evening (I kept up my dancing even then) with my friends and so would my DH. So take up every possible offer of babysitting including any activities with a crèche attached.

If you can go to the gym then that's great but otherwise just get out there pushing the pram! I lived at the top of a hill when DD was little and my leg muscles were amazing!

Being a SAHM can be boring and lonely. Join things. Go to toddler groups or soft play centres or just play parks and get talking to other mums.
    I know it must be much harder having 2 babies than one but it has to be worth a try. You're not happy as you are.:grouphug:

The dancing do is similar to ceilidh dancing but with a bit more attention to detail. This is one of the dances I did this week.
    https://www.scottish-country-dancing-dictionary.com/video/quarries-jig.html

Sorry it's an all male group doing the demonstration.

Beautiful day here. Not sure what's happening, may have some visitors (DD going to NYC on Tuesday so she'll call by sometime) but if not I'll sit in the garden with my book like I did yesterday!:D
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ruby, I agree with Maman, it sounds as though your OH views your personal wishes as not as worthy as his because you are currently without an income. When I was a SAHM I had the family allowance (and back in 1986 new mums got dole for 12m), so had a few pounds in my purse to pay for my hairdresser or bus fares to town. Maybe you could agree for the housekeeping to be paid into your bank account, with a bit extra to allow you some flexibility? Also then if you save on your shopping, you can transfer the £s saved to a saving/stash account? I'm not comfortable with the thought of you having to ask each time you go out...it reminds me of that storyline in The Archers with Helen & Rob :(
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh Ruby, I am afraid I don't have much useful advice on the family front as I've never married and had children, but I had to post to send you a big hug. Your husband seems to have the kind of traditional attitude that my dad had, and it was that kind of attitude that made me think I really didn't want to have a family. I would have gone a bit mad staying at home and I don't think it did wonders for my mum's mental health either. Hopefully LL, Maman and Floss' advice will help you find a way forward.

The only advice I can offer is on the eating front, if you can wean yourself off the sugar onto a healthier diet it will give you far more of an energy boost than the quick hit you get from sugar. I am feeling more energetic than I have done for years having gone low carb / sugar. Took a few weeks before the change really boosted my energy, but am really noticing the difference now.

I had a lovely yoga class in the park - really noticing the reduction in body fat around the middle means I can do things more easily than I did before. I have a couple of friends coming over this afternoon for a walk and then we are going to the pub quiz with some others tonight, so I will be making the most of the sunshine.

Hope you all had a fab sunny Sunday afternoon xx
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That sounds really rough Ruby, I hope you're able to follow up on some of the good advice given previously.

It's been pretty cr*ppy being me for the last few weeks, or at least, being in my body which went from not-recovering-from-workouts to full-blown-meltdown. I could barely stay awake for a full day at work, my muscles had absolutely no strength in them at all and I was aching in places I hadn't exercised. I think I made my chiropractor's afternoon; he loves his job and the trickier the case the better. :rotfl: We identified the cause as my jaw muscles, pulling on my neck pulling on my shoulders etc. It was and still is (but thankfully to a lesser degree) affecting my entire body. I got referred to a consultant and have that appointment on Tuesday.

I left week 6 of Pilates yesterday morning and I can't remember the last time I felt strength and poise in my body like I did when I was driving home. I miss it, but that feeling lasted about an hour so I'm hopeful that I can find it again soon. The mindfulness course is going well and very interesting. I think it'll be a gradual process as there are techniques to practise, but I am already taking a step back rather than getting caught up in my mind.

I've put a fair bit of weight back on and can no longer suck my stomach in. :o When I went to the chiro we agreed that whilst I feel like I need one, my body isn't in a fit state for a detox or any drastic diet changes right now. I have successfully cut out diet soft drinks, but I have also increased my chocolate/crisp/sweet intake. A large part of that is feeling so unwell and there's a bit of emotional stuff going on as well. Plus Easter Egg chocolate is special and it tastes better than normal Dairy Milk. :rotfl: My body does feel like it's heading in the right direction, so I'll be tackling my diet sooner rather than later.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning lovely fabbers,

Thinking of you Ruby it sounds like a very difficult situation for you. Good advice on here especially with the eating for inner health, the right kind of food can really boost your energy without the dreaded sugar slumps and improve your state of mind no end.

We have had a lovely weekend here weather wise so plenty of time spent out in the garden, it's good exercise and gives such pleasure when you can sit back to enjoy the fruit of your labours.
    Despite plenty of sunscreen I could see my fair, freckly skin was starting to burn at one point yesterday so retreated to the house, the dogs love having the doors open and they can wander in and out.
    The warmer weather means more fabbing so painted my toe nails, a pretty pink colour that came in my No7 advent calendar and de-fuzzed my legs.
    I could really do with some more summer skirts but am holding off as losing weight, half a stone so far which I am pleased with but my goal is to get down to a size 12 all over so suspect have another stone and a half to go. Although I have some lovely clothes sizes 14/16 and will be loathed to let them go :(
    Re the high legs in M&S Indie I too like those but lately have switched to the high rise shorts and they are very comfortable, sit above the tummy and no vpl at all.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I went in to M&S yesterday for the first time in ages as they lost me to bonmarche. The clothes are weird colours. I don't know anyone who could wear that strange orangie beige colour a:rotfl:nd look good.yuk.It looks like faded lucosade T:eek:hey did have a good selection of t shirts but they are a inch or so too short for me and I am only 5 4". I don't like the space it causes at my back when I lean over. Their classic range used to be my favourite and now they would make me look an old frump so had a look at autograph but didn't like that weird sleeves. Am turning in to a fussy old git but managed to find few bits I liked in Jlewis.
    Thanks for the link to the lookfabulousforever makeup and tutorials. I am going to sent for the foundation samples and save up for the big set with everything in it. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure