A Warning - CapQuest Debt Recovery!

Options

Comments

• beeniemac
    beeniemac Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Capquest is the new name for 1st Credit iirc - If the debt is over 6 years old, contact the company who the debt was originally owed to and advise them of the situation. If they don't listen, get CAB or a solicitor to write a letter outlining the details. If after this you still have no luck, write a follow up letter and copy in the FSA and the regulatory body of the original creditor :)

LBM
    September 2006

Yorkshire loan: £4164 >>> £0
    Amazon CC: £320 >>> £1700 (oops)
    HSBC OD: £1300 >>> £200

Total £5784 >>> £1900 21/05/2006

• mummyyummy_2
    Options
    i have just received a letter from capquest...this is not my first they have sent me and OH loadsa letters coz they have apparantely bought over an old debt of ours...they are constantly phoning us ALL the time..to the extent now that i no longer answer the fon (my caller id fon broke so only have old handset one at the mo) ..anyway this letter today says "investigations have indicated that i am in employment" (well spose i am as a stay at home mum!!) and they are taking me to court and they will make an attachment of earnings order!! as part of this order they will require to know lots of details blah..blah..blah..if i dont comply a judge may decide to commit me to prison....so its in my interests to ring their office on 0870 084 3516 to discuss settlement...our pre-litigation team are on hand to asist you...not even signed by a person, just litigation executive on behalf of capquest..any ideas wot to do now? should i continue ignoring these ppl? This admittedly is a very old debt of mine from years and years back at an old address..how they got my new address im not sure maybe when i was trying to get credit recently or maybe the (kind..grrr) new occupants gave them it coz they know my new address..it was for an old capital one credit card max £200 limit but my bill so far is £399.59...obv interest etc. My OH does work, so i was wondering if it really went as far as court etc could they make him liable for my old debt and arrest his wages? we are struggling with debt just like everyone else here and in the process of looking into setting up dmp..any advice gratefully received...thankyou ps meant to say they have contacted us within 6 years so cant even go down that route
  • jetbags
    jetbags Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    mummyyummy wrote: »
    i have just received a letter from capquest...this is not my first they have sent me and OH loadsa letters coz they have apparantely bought over an old debt of ours...they are constantly phoning us ALL the time..to the extent now that i no longer answer the fon (my caller id fon broke so only have old handset one at the mo) ..anyway this letter today says "investigations have indicated that i am in employment" (well spose i am as a stay at home mum!!) and they are taking me to court and they will make an attachment of earnings order!! as part of this order they will require to know lots of details blah..blah..blah..if i dont comply a judge may decide to commit me to prison....so its in my interests to ring their office on 0870 084 3516 to discuss settlement...our pre-litigation team are on hand to asist you...not even signed by a person, just litigation executive on behalf of capquest..any ideas wot to do now? should i continue ignoring these ppl? This admittedly is a very old debt of mine from years and years back at an old address..how they got my new address im not sure maybe when i was trying to get credit recently or maybe the (kind..grrr) new occupants gave them it coz they know my new address..it was for an old capital one credit card max £200 limit but my bill so far is £399.59...obv interest etc. My OH does work, so i was wondering if it really went as far as court etc could they make him liable for my old debt and arrest his wages? we are struggling with debt just like everyone else here and in the process of looking into setting up dmp..any advice gratefully received...thankyou ps meant to say they have contacted us within 6 years so cant even go down that route

As a seasoned warrior against Capquest it never ceases to astound me as to how many people they affect on a daily basis.
    The up and down of the problem is this.... You have got to legally make them go away, there are countless templated letters for this purpose, both on here, on Grumbletext and the best one of all is The consumer action group.
    Here you will find an army of people,some seasoned campaigners and other truly fantastic in their field of consumer law.

Capquest are currently under investigation from several angles, more recently the Office of Fair Trading,with the newly empowered Financial Ombudsman running a close second in line.
    If Capquest call you, put the phone down and do not speak a word to them, if it really is important then they will write, this incidentally adds to your paper trail of proof when you sue them for Harrasment.
    This is one of the lowest of the low companies in the UK. Treat them with the distain they deserve.

Jetbags
  • smashedbooboo
    smashedbooboo Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi mummy, Your cap1 card. If the debt now stands at more than the 200 limit then i would guess there are late payment charges on it. Have you checked you statements. Claim these back. Send them a letter requesting (The DCA) a true copy of your credit agreement. I did this with capquest and they returned it back to cap1. I am now in the process of reclaiming all my charges. And also Dealornodeal. Do the same with your sons DCAs. No CCA then they cant persue him for debt. It sounds like it is statute barred. Dont ring them. Always write to them. If they continue to ring you tell them you will only communicate in writing. And then report them to the relevant authorities
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • toofygap
    Options
    ive been contacted by capquest also about an outstanding halifax debt (yes I know that it is owed and all intentions of paying it back). When they called They wanted to know everything about me down to my inside leg measurment and shoe size. I explained and told them that I am awaiting for some monies and this would be paid back in full within a few weeks I was immediatly passed over to a manager who proceeded to call me a liar and that I had no intentions of this they wanted my solicitors name tel numbers etc I advised that I am paying this in full but he just carried on that if I didnt pay within x time that this or that would happen and demanded I pay them now a holding figure which I refused. The more I tried to convince the prize nana (being polite) the money is to be repaid the more he got pushy and demanded a date he told me he would call everyday "charaded as courtesy calls" until a payment was made. I informed them that this was harrassment and was accused of being rude and refusing to pay for my debt. needless to say I am not in now until the money hits my account and will pay this debt.

Funnily wnough I have another debt with anothe dca and when I informed them that it is to paid in full shortly they were very polite and duly noted the account I havnt heard from them at all
  • deanstarr3
    Options
    3 days ago I had an answerphone message from a company called capquest, never heard of them before. Yesterday they called again and this time I answered. The man informed me he had sent a letter to my address chasing a debt on behalf of his client. I asked him who capquest were and who his client was and he wouldnt give me any information then he hung up.

This morning I recieve a letter from capquest to a previous address where my grandparents now live. They are both 80 and called me fearing I owed money and stated that the letter explained that debt collection people would come round if the debt was not paid. They told me it was for £240 for alliance and leicester. I closed my only account with alliance and leicester 4 years ago with no money outstanding.

Absolutely furious at the thought that these muppets might knock on my grandparents door to claim money that does not exist I called the capquest number in a rage. The lady was very polite and explained that she was working in fleet. I gave her a false name so that I could speak to her supervisor. He then told me he was in glasgow.....I battered him with questions and he kept his cool but insisted that capquest was not a scam. He stated that he had an old address for me and that they had tracked me to my most recent one.

I told him to get alliance and leicester to confirm any debts in writing or else I would look forward to meeting them in court. He then tried to suggest that somewone had run up the debt using my identity and tried all sorts of little tricks to justify the debt. I told him he was terorrising my grandparents with these threatening letters but he said he will continue to chase the debt regardless. I wished him good luck with the scam and told him to give me a call only if he fancies trying to collect the debt in person!! They will ned to try alot harder if he they think they are getting their hands on my money that easily. Disgusting, vile people.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dean

Crapquest are well known on here. They are licenced debt collectors.

They may have another debtor with your name. You may find that somehow you had a very small unknown DD going out of the account (typically an insurance policy accidently agreed to when buying something) and the account then wracked up charges.

Talking to debt collectors is never a good idea; you have no proof of what you said or they said so you cannot make the appropriate complaints; they are as you discovered often bullies; and they can lie or distort the legal situation. I am never sure if the ID fraud suggestion is an excuse for the wrong contact or intended to frighten the debtor into thinking that there will be police involvement if they refuse to pay.

I suggest you start with the following:

1. Get your credit records to check that this account IS closed.
    2. Tell your grandparents that you are sorting it. Above all, that legally no debt collector can come to their house. IF one ever did, the police would be happy to remove them.
    3. Crapquest will probably follow up the letter. If they do this shortly, ask your GP's to forward this on to you unopened. That will give you much more idea what it is about and we can help you more effectively.
    4. If this continues, consider paying to have any mail addressed to you at your Gp's redirected.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • shaztra
    Options
    I have received a letter fron capquest saying they are chasing a debt for over £8,000 for an outstanding american express credit card debt. I HAVE NO DEBTS I HAVE NEVER HAD AN AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD is this a scam has someone used my id should i phone them HELP what should i do?????
  • Brian1966
    Brian1966 Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    Options
    I received 2 letters in the post this morning, same postal return address.
    One from Crapquest and one from Abbey on identical notepaper just a poorly copied abbey/santander logo on top.
    They claim I owe £445 but I have never had any dealings with Abbey in the past and owe nothing.
    Was recently approved for a Santander credit card at the same address used in these dodgy letters.
    Just mailed then telling them that the letters will be forwarded to trading standards and to delete my info from their systems.
    Will await the outcome.
    Natwest gold..Limit £1750 bal £970..Vanquis Limit £3000 bal £0..Littlewoods..Limit £1200 bal 0..Additions direct..Limit £4900 bal £1356..Empire Limit £6200 bal £152..Jd williams..Limit £1100 bal £130..Simplybe..Limit £1500 bal 265,,Fashion world..Limit £1400 bal £145 Jacamo..Limit£125 bal 0
    Next..Limit £?? bal £0 Asda..limit £1250 bal £440,
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 November 2009 at 12:51AM
    Options
    If you don't owe it, they may well be fishing, people froma previous address, similar names or dates of birth, all these tactics are as you can guess against the OFT guidelines, as such there is currently a 1 year investigation into these practices... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2058531&highlight=

My advice, 1. ignore the letters for now, if they carry on reply with a prove it letter - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11570893&postcount=2

If they can't prove it don't pay, if they can't prove it and carry on with the letter right to the OFT and FSA to raise a complaint that after multiple requests they continue to chase you for a debt that is not yours and you are not liable for.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure