PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Comments

• weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I seem to have the 3 day rule in my head from somewhere as well.......dunno where I got it from.....but I stick to it :-)
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi all

I cooked a chicken for lunch on Sunday, cooled it quickly and then put it straight in the fridge. I've stripped the meat off the bones and made stock with the carcass, but I'm wondering whether it would be OK to eat the rest of the meat today? I usually work on 3 days max, so this takes me out of my comfort zone.

There's only a little bit left, so if the cat has to have it then so be it. It'll make a change for her...

Thanks a lot
    D.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    3 days max in my house, and i'm abit funny about chicken at the best of times.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Chicken seems to keep for a lot longer if you leave it on the carcass.

I reckon on 3 days max if the meat is stripped from the carcass. 5 days if it's left on. It's never been a problem for me and I've have a roast chicken 3 Sundays out of 4 for the last 35 years - 1365 chickens!
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Mmm, thought 3 days max would be about the limit. Looks like the cat's in for a treat today!

Thanks guys.
    D.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    if you think it'd make you sick, won't it make the cat sick?

or alternatively - if you think it's safe enough for the cat, isn't it safe enough for you?

just trying to stir the pot a bit...!
  • i've eaten chicken after 4 days before. i always go for the sniffing method. if it smells ok then i'll eat it ;)
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    i've eaten chicken after 4 days before. i always go for the sniffing method. if it smells ok then i'll eat it ;)

totally agree
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dont think I'd have it cold (in a sarnie for instance) but thoughly reheated in a stew or gravy should be ok I would think - assuming it smells ok
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family