Guaranteed annuity - sellable?

I have six months to go to my planned retirement date. I have an old with profits retirement plan that has a guaranteed 11+% annuity rate. Is there a market for selling/transferring this for more than the fund value given by the insurance company? If so, what is the process and caveats?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Unlike the case with DB pensions a DC pension with an guaranteed annuity has a real pension pot, so if you moved the pension elsewhere that's what would be transferred. If the pension is transferred the guarantee is lost. To get the guarantee you need to meet the conditions exactly. The guarantee makes paying the pension extremely expensive for the pension company so they would be happy to be relieved of the duty. Pension companies have gone bust because of the foolish guarantees they made. For the same reason that an 11% guarantee can be a disaster for the pension company taking an 11% guaranteed annuity is pretty much a no-brainer for the pensioner. Why would you not want to? It will provide a far better return than you could get from investing the money.

If you wish to transfer the pot elsewhere accepting the loss of the guarantee, and the value of the pension was more than £30K, (whether that means the pot size or a hypothetical value taking into account the guarantee I dont know) you would need to consult an IFA. Under almost any circumstance the IFA would say that it's not in your best interest.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    11% p.a. and you want shot of it? Are you at death's door?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No, there is no market. And most people in their right mind wouldn’t even dream of selling such a valuable benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure