actual salary you'll be getting

Hi,

How do I know the actual salary for a job if it quoted £17.000-£19.000? Should I always assumed I'll be getting the lowest (starter) salary?

Is it possible you'll be getting somewhere in between (i.e £18.000) if you have the skills/experience?

Thanks.

San

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    sanova76 wrote: »
    Hi,

How do I know the actual salary for a job if it quoted £17.000-£19.000? Should I always assumed I'll be getting the lowest (starter) salary?

Is it possible you'll be getting somewhere in between (i.e £18.000) if you have the skills/experience?

Thanks.

San

You ask them :)
  • Avoid talking about salary for as long as possible. Then use your best judgement in the F2F interview to ask for a reasonable salary. I went for a recent interview and I got the job, but wasn't asked about salary till F2F interview. I told them the highest figure in their salary bracket. No real hesitation, but by then I knew they were desperate. In hindsight I should have asked for 2k more. I reckon with some haggling I would have got it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You ask them :)
    Mostly this, because some employers will ALWAYS start you on the lowest, and the maximum they quote is what you might be able to work up to over the course of a few years.

And the only way you'll know that is to ask.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Start low, pass probation or work there a year, it goes up.

If you convince them to let you start high then dont expect a settling in period, you had better hit the ground running.
  • hxm
    hxm Posts: 278
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In the NHS (and I assume other public sector jobs) there is a pay banding. You would normally start on the lowest pay in the banding and work your way up with an annual increment to the highest. But there is an overlap, so if you were at the top of your band and moved to a job in the next band, your salary would not drop, you would probably start on the same pay (the middle of the next band) and then move up with annual increments.If the job advertised is for a private company, and they are not stating a fixed salary, I guess it is negotiable between those two figures
  • sanova76
    sanova76 Posts: 274
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks for the all the replies.
  • If you convince them to let you start high then dont expect a settling in period, you had better hit the ground running.

Yes but someone's salary doesn't have to be indicative of how hard they can work or the stimulation of that work. : ( I can remember being so flat out on 16k previous, yet for danger money of nearer 20k it's a cuppa on the hour, every hour. Crackers really.

Another spin on brackets OP is if this is a sales orientated role is the lower bracket of salary can be a basic with the higher being the achievable OTE - brackets can mean so many things : /

Even if above doesn't apply - I was always conditioned and used to think you shouldn't talk money early on but now actually think if and where possible it helps determine if job is genuine/serious about filling early days or whether it's an employer on a 'fishing trip'.
  • Is it private sector? If so, how much do you want the job? If you wouldn't take it for less than 19k, ask for 19k. If you'd take it for 17, take it for 17K. Nobody else can tell you what to do. If they want you enough, they'll pay what you ask for. It's such a tiny range anyway that if they want you they will probably pay the 19.

If it's public sector then they will offer you whatever they are supposed to.
  • Depends on how much they want you as well. When I got my current job, I indicated 55-60k range.

When I got offered the job, they came back with 62k.
  • Depends on how much they want you as well. When I got my current job, I indicated 55-60k range.

When I got offered the job, they came back with 62k.

I can't imagine a company that would want somebody enough to pay them 17K but not enough to pay them 19K.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure