Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    As I think I've mentioned previously, I've had the Aldi filtered milk three weeks past the use by date and still in a drinkable condition when put in to hot drinks. There's just no way that ordinary milk would last that long. I always put my milk back in the fridge. Even filtered milk will start to sour if left in a warm kitchen.
    I've found that the milk that sours fastest of all is milk reconstituted from powder. Aldi don't sell milk powder, it's one of the few things I have to buy from Tesc0.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    As I think I've mentioned previously, I've had the Aldi filtered milk three weeks past the use by date and still in a drinkable condition when put in to hot drinks. There's just no way that ordinary milk would last that long. I always put my milk back in the fridge. Even filtered milk will start to sour if left in a warm kitchen.
    I've found that the milk that sours fastest of all is milk reconstituted from powder. Aldi don't sell milk powder, it's one of the few things I have to buy from Tesc0.

How can you say "there's no way ordinary milk would last that long" when I've already stated that I very regularly keep milk in my fridge 3-4 weeks without it going sour.

Maybe it's to do with storage, I don't know. I buy it fresh from my local Coop when it's literally just come off their refrigerated lorry. They have daily deliveries. And, unlike some supermarkets, it isn't sitting out on the shop floor for hours causing fluctuations in temperature. Nor is it sitting in a supermarket trolley for ages whilst doing the weekly shop.

You can't state that something I experience is impossible just because you have a different experience. I use very little milk as I said, a 4pt carton would last me a month as it's only for visitors coffee/tea or for making Yorkshire puddings for Sunday lunch.

Therefore it's not being regularly opened or removed from the fridge, allowing bacteria to grow. My fridge also has circulating air keeping all areas at a consistent temperature of 3 degrees centigrade. I'm sure all these factors play a significant part.

And, as I said above, I don't disagree that other people may have different experiences but please don't accuse me of being untruthful.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can we move on from milkgate now please ?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Can we move on from milkgate now please ?

I hope so :rotfl:
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    How can you say "there's no way ordinary milk would last that long" when I've already stated that I very regularly keep milk in my fridge 3-4 weeks without it going sour.

Maybe it's to do with storage, I don't know. I buy it fresh from my local Coop when it's literally just come off their refrigerated lorry. They have daily deliveries. And, unlike some supermarkets, it isn't sitting out on the shop floor for hours causing fluctuations in temperature. Nor is it sitting in a supermarket trolley for ages whilst doing the weekly shop.

You can't state that something I experience is impossible just because you have a different experience. I use very little milk as I said, a 4pt carton would last me a month as it's only for visitors coffee/tea or for making Yorkshire puddings for Sunday lunch.

Therefore it's not being regularly opened or removed from the fridge, allowing bacteria to grow. My fridge also has circulating air keeping all areas at a consistent temperature of 3 degrees centigrade. I'm sure all these factors play a significant part.

And, as I said above, I don't disagree that other people may have different experiences but please don't accuse me of being untruthful.

My apologies, I should have said 'there's no way ordinary milk would last that long for me', Bear in mind that when filtered milk is purchased it generally has a use by date of at least 2 weeks in advance. I wasn't doubting your experience.

Hopefully we can now get back on track before the board moderators rap our knuckles....
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What's that? Knuckles are a great buy at Lidl and/or Aldi? :)

Has anyone got the Aldi Pod-based Coffee Maker (the one that takes the Nespresso pods)? I know it comes up fairly regularly on special buys. Any good? It seems quite cheap compared to similar products elsewhere.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    I haven't got the Aldi Nespresso coffee maker, but it seems to have sold well. Mine is a Krups Pixie Clips. It's not bad but you have to clean it quite thoroughly between drinks if switching from ordinary to decaff or from coffee to tea.

Something new in Aldi housewares and I like them.
    Extra large (100 litre) heavy duty rubbish bags with drawstrings. Black. 15 in a pack for £1.49.
    Useful for many of us who have fortnightly collections and put our standard sized bags under strain.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Any idea what this weekends offers at Lidl are? The online leaflet is for 9th-15th March.

I wish they would have an explicit link on the website, I find it a complete waste of time to navigate.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I wish they would have an explicit link on the website, I find it a complete waste of time to navigate.

In fairness, when they are uploaded on time the online leaflets are great. I find Aldi's website a nightmare to navigate around these days with different special buys hidden away in various sections.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Any idea what this weekends offers at Lidl are? The online leaflet is for 9th-15th March.

It's nappies and 4 pack of baby wipes. https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?id=73&week=1&ar=4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure