Real Life MMD: Should we keep the wine?

Comments

• I find it almost laughable that one person posting claims he/she spots 20p errors in the supermarket bill. That sounds like a complete exaggeration to me and devalues their opinion to worthlessness.

If I am over charged by 20p I notice it too, some of us have to watch the pennies!
    If it wasn't for the mistakes I made in the past (and learned from), I wouldn't be who and where I am today. It doesn't matter if you've cocked up, what matters is that you put it right and apologise. x
  • klint
    klint Posts: 265
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would send their Head Office a letter or email to let them know that you are willing to let them take it back (and keep a copy to prove it). Then you can't be accused of theft.

But invoice them for the 30 mins you spent on the phone, at a cost of £30 an hour. That's a reasonable rate. They pay their temps something like that. They pay their lawyers ten times as much. Add the cost of the telephone call, say £10. It doesn't matter if you have inclusive minutes, that would be part of your line rental. You've paid line rental to enable you to call them and they should pay their share. So a total of £25. You will release the wine for their collection upon receipt of the money they owe you.

They will probably let you keep it, because the wine probably only cost them £25 anyway, and Head Office doesn't normally deal with day-to-day operations anyway. But now you can open the bottles legally.
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2010 at 1:56AM
    MSE_Lee wrote: »
    Should we keep the wine?

YES! Keep them!

Legally, this is called an "unsolicited gift" - under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, they're now yours (see also "inertia selling" in the same act)

If you really, really, reallywant to return them to the company in question, get in touch with them (obviously, don't bother phoning them again! Eamil perhaps?). Offer to allow them to collect them at a time which is convenient to you. If they haven't collected them in (say) 14 days, say that you're keeping them as an unsolicited gift.

You don't have to do this, but it's up to you.

And please, please! Tell me that the number you called was an 0800 number?! It's astonishing that anyone would waste 30 mins of their time trying to fix something which is ultimately the retailers problem.
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    klint wrote: »
    I would send their Head Office a letter or email to let them know that you are willing to let them take it back (and keep a copy to prove it). Then you can't be accused of theft.

Ahem. Among other things, theft requires the intent to permanently deprive.

In this case, there is patently no such intent here. Far from it if the OP wasted 30 mins of their time trying to talk to them!
  • alynns
    alynns Posts: 28
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    During a very late Ocado delivery, we realised that 2 bags given to us by the panicking driver weren't ours - nothing that exciting: just ice cream and a few odds and sods. The delivery driver was just leaving as I called CS but they said to keep it because once it was in our kitchen they couldn't take it back i.e. in case we'd poisoned it or dragged it through rat droppings or something, I assumed. They also sent us a free bottle of wine for the late delivery together with "inconvenience" of calling about the additional items a few weeks later. On that basis, I'd say keep it!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Taste it before realising it was a more expensive wine that your other half had ordered.
    Then e mail as proof and wait a reasonable time.
  • The simplest answer is to send Tesco Customer Services an email, tell them you have tried calling and gave up after 30 minutes and ask them to collect the wine withing 14 days if they'd like it back.
    They will probably say "thanks for telling us, you may keep it".
    If you hear nothing you know you've been honest and tried to return it and need not feel guilty drinking a toast to Tesco at Christmas.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You tried to contact them, this is just them expending a little of the cash they're saving by being too cheap to employee enough people to answer the phones...free wine! woot!
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Reality, nice first post, not.

Everything I buy, I know the price of before I head to the till, so when I check my receipt (as soon as I've been given it) I will notice if I've been overcharged 1p, 3p, 50p or £4.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep the wine. I had the same happen to me not long ago. A chicken, some corned beef and a tray of pork chops were given to me along with my shopping. Didn't realise till I'd opened all the bags. Tried to ring supermarket but got no answer (just kept ringing), so thought sod it, I'm not wasting anymore time or money or something that wasn't my mistake!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Ring or email them again and see what they say. Something similar happened with my mum's Sainsburys order a few months back when she got two bottles of posh gin and they said, "No it's OK, you keep it". I find Sainsburys very good for customer service like that, another time the delivery guy accidentally broke a jar of tomato puree bringing the bags into the house and we got a replacement jar and £10 off the next shop.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure