A moral dilemma. What would you do?

Comments

• Im sure Vet8 would not be so happy if someone had walked off with £300 out of his account.
  • simax wrote: »
    Would someone do the same for me?

No.

I'd keep the money.

(But then, I'm not that lucky lol)

DITTO!!!!:rotfl:
    :confused: I NEED TO CHANGE MY BAD LUCK RUN!!!!:confused:
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Someone walked away and left it. There's no other explanation as ATMs do not just fire money out!
  • the182guy
    the182guy Posts: 1,018
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In situations like this, and the other thread on here where someone was creditted with 40k I don't think morals come into it.

First things first is can you be convicted in a court of law for the actions you decide to take. If the answer is no then morals do come into it.

In this case in my opinion your brother did the right thing, they will have CCTV footage and there is a chance they could find someone from that. For 300 quid it's not worth the trouble of having it come and bite you on the ar** in future with a criminal record and fine perhaps much larger than the sum in question.
  • I would have given the money back. It would not be mine and someone else would be £300 down.

I don't care what 'crooks' the banks are, or whether other people would do the same for me. All I know is I have to act in accordance with my conscience. To do anything else would be as wrong as anything the banks do.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    vet8 wrote: »
    ........I feel no compunction at all about taking money from banks. They are the biggest corporate crooks going and the chance to get something off them for free is too good to miss.

Admit it, you made that story up to have a rant at banks. :D
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,956
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Im sure Vet8 would not be so happy if someone had walked off with £300 out of his account.

You'd probabaly also find Vet8 isn't that stupid. ;):D

If you walk off and leave £300 of your own money hanging out of an ATM, you deserve to lose it. It's the most idiotic thing to do!
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    simax wrote: »
    You'd probabaly also find Vet8 isn't that stupid. ;):D

If you walk off and leave £300 of your own money hanging out of an ATM, you deserve to lose it. It's the most idiotic thing to do!

vet8 isn't stupid true, but this is about their brother remember.... :beer:

For the record, i'd be keeping it as well - thats nothing to the geezer thats got £40k in his bank :eek: :eek: :eek:

chambta wrote: »
    ATMs do not just fire money out!

actually...... they do. May I suggest (even for a Natwest employee) that you check this fact ;) being the last big case involved your very employers.....!
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 8:37AM
    It's exactly the same as if you found £300 as you were walking along the road or was on the seat when you got on a bus.
    Somebody has lost it, and you can be sure the bank is'nt going to stand the loss.
    The question is just about morals.

I don't like blowing my own trumpet but when i drove a cab i found £200 on the back seat, i retuned it,
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    You need to give it back to the bank or hand it in at your local police station, not to do so is a criminal offence called "theft by finding".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure