PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freehold Manager requesting consent to Sublet

Anyone who has freehold managers plc as their freeholder should be aware of the following. I have received a demand for £129 to gain thier consent for sub letting.

I have read my lease and there is nowhere in the lease that it says I need thier consent. I suspect that they have done a trawl of leases where the leaseholders address does not match the property address and send out a standard letter.

I wonder how many people just pay up without checking thier lease first, a nice little earner for this company if people just pay up..

I have sent them a letter recorded delivery asking them to point out where in my lease it states that I must get thier consent to sublet and I await thier response.

Given thier usual incompetence I am not expected a speedy reply, so in my letter I have stated that If I do not hear from them in 21 days I will consider the matter closed.

Comments

• GarySt_2
    GarySt_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    I phoned them and explained they had no right to charge it on our block and asked them to write to all the off-site owners they had sent charges to. The woman hung up on me.
    I then got the management company to send out a word of warning to all the off-site owners telling them not to fall for it.
    They tried this 3 years ago and we just ignored them. Isnt it illegal to obtain monies by deceit?
    Our lease says we need permission to sublet from the management company, nothing about 'charging' or 'freeholder'.

Best to ignore them. They are scum.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any chance you conveyed the fact that you think they are scum before you got hung up on?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • anniebea
    anniebea Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This company will try anything.... they tried to charge me twice for ground rent on two different Flats We bought no 13 ( renumbered to 14 something to do with 13 being unlucky) They then tried to charge us for the non existant no 13 AND no 14. They didnt respond to emails, or letters and even threatned us with debt collectors for non payment!!! Something realtivley simple took months to sort out.
    They are totally unprofessional and incompetent.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    They are totally unprofessional and incompetent.
    Sound very competant to me. Making lots of money for their shareholders!
  • anniebea
    anniebea Posts: 87 Forumite
    Having challeneged this demand, freehold managers has now sent me a letter saying I do not need to pay, nothing in lease, and not a requirement of insurance, so thier demand was just a speculative demand with no substance.

So have saved myself £190+ and £127 each time my tenants change.

My advice is to anyone who gets one of these demand is read your lease and challenge these type of demands.
  • kaych
    kaych Posts: 376 Forumite
    thanks for sharing your experience! as we will become leaseholders soon, it's good to know that some of the tricks that these freeholders are up to!

sometimes i am just wondering because of the so many restriction stated in the lease, we are actually not buying the flat, we are simply buying 'the right to live there'.... a bit expensive for that kind of service...
  • jamboken77
    jamboken77 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Does anybody knows what can happen to you if you don't gain consent to sub let?
    How would the management company ever know if I rented out my flat?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jamboken77 wrote: »
    Does anybody knows what can happen to you if you don't gain consent to sub let?
    How would the management company ever know if I rented out my flat?

A different postal address would give them a hint.
  • jamboken77
    jamboken77 Posts: 7 Forumite
    It would, but I haven't informed them of a change in my address. My post is redirected so still receive all of the bills. My flat is still unoccupied, so just considering my options. £100+ is a lot when I have agency fees as well :-(
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    kaych wrote: »
    sometimes i am just wondering because of the so many restriction stated in the lease, we are actually not buying the flat, we are simply buying 'the right to live there'.... a bit expensive for that kind of service...

That is exactly what you are doing!! :p
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family