PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ideas for really cheap easy Buffet food please!!

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    a big hit at a recent party was my fresh fruit platter! It looked stunning on the dessert table and it was just a foil platter filled with a couple of punnets of strawberries, some fresh pineapple cut into chunks, a melon cut into little boats, red grapes cut into little bunches and green grapes also cut into little bunches, Kiwi fruit cut in halves and some Physalis for the novelty value (though they are delicious fruits). believe me, the kids fell on it like they had never seen fruit before and the adults added some fruit to ther dessert plates. my DIL said it was the big hit of the party food - everyone commented on it! and there wasnt a scrap left!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ive merged this with an older buffet thread

This post by pink winged has a lod of helpful links too
    Hope your buffet goes well

ZIp :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I am having some friends for lunch this weekend. There are 10 of us, 4 adults and 6 kids ranging in age from 2 to 11. No one is a fussy eater, and there are no vegetarians.

The only wrinkle is that we will all be out in the morning beforehand, leaving at around 10.00 am and returning around 12.30 with the aim to eat soon after we get in. So I am looking for ideas. I have a slow cooker, and also can programme my oven to come on while I am out if necessary.

Inspiration is particularly low at the moment, so would love some ideas.

thanks everyone.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Soup or chilli in the SC? Both can be served with fresh bread or rice wouldn't take long to do for the chilli once you get in?
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    buy some large chunks of cheese and a ham. cook the ham the day before. serve up on the day with pickes salad and fruit, cheese crackers and crusty bread.
  • otterspasm
    otterspasm Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about cold meat (chicken? ham?) and wraps and salad?
    Or a big pan of butternut squash soup and a bread rol followed by a home made cake or biscuits?
    These could be prepared beforehand and can be ready very quickly once home.
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Did this for a party once - went to pub and came back to grub :rotfl:

Baked potatoes and several fillings - baked beans, cheese, bolognaise, chili, tuna mayo - it's lunch not a dinner party so no need to be formal. Even the 2 year old could eat the middle of the potato mashed with butter. Put potatoes in oven and set it to come on at about 11am. Prep everything else the day before and lay out/reheat just before lunch. Easy peasy
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions. The weather is turning cold here at the moment, so I think I need a hot meal rather than cold cuts, and as it is the main meal, something more substantial than soup. Chilli is a possibility though. Does anyone else have any ideas?
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Macaroni cheese made the day before and warmed up to serve.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    I'd do something like a bolognaise in advance, to be re-heated whilst pasta is being cooked (pasta shapes rather than spaghetti because of the little ones) - serve with garlic bread/salad/grated cheese. Quick, easy to eat, fairly universally liked!
    [
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport