Aperture IVA - Acting without Authority?

Options
Hi all,

I am at loggerheads with a company called Aperture regarding a closed IVA & PPI.

Back in 2006 I entered into an IVA with a company called Debt Matters which was subsequently transferred over to a company called Grant Thornton. I had to complete a letter of authority and agree to the terms and conditions set to me by GT in order to keep the IVA on track. My IVA has since been completed and closed.

I was contacted by Barclays in December 2016 regarding PPI and they sought my permission to look into this. Their subsequent investigation showed that I was mis sold a payment protection policy and they offered me a small sum in compensation. Somehow a company called Aperture whom I have had no dealings with have intervened and are now holding my compensation pending the outcome of Green V Write case.

Can Aperture operate and withhold the funds without a standing authority? I have not signed any form of agreement with them so I cannot understand how they can act without consent?

From my understanding, Grant Thornton "moved" their IVA section of the business which is now called Aperture however I have done some digging and learnt that Aperture is a separate independent commercial entity to Grant Thornton. Would they not require me to sign an agreement with them to handle the PPI aspect of my IVA?

Any help would be appreciated as Aperture are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot and the whole situation is incredibly frustrating.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As far as I am aware, the current situation is something like this, any debt that was included in an IVA that subsequently proved to have PPI, is supposed to be paid into the IVA fund for the benefit of your creditors.

Even if the agreement had ended.

This ruling is currently been challenged in the courts (the case you mentioned) as been unfair, and rightly so.

If this company dealt with PPI claims on behalf of GT, then that would explain it.

You perhaps had to sign something in order to obtain your certificate of completion ?

That would be the document concerned here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I though Aperture was the new name for Grant Thornton.

A bit like when Windscale changed its name to Sellafield after an incident with nuclear waste.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I though Aperture was the new name for Grant Thornton.

A bit like when Windscale changed its name to Sellafield after an incident with nuclear waste.

Probabley both as toxic lol !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure