PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    I feel just like you Sweet Pea - really excited with every little seedling that pops up out of the soil.

It's my first year of proper growing so I don't really know what to expect. I sowed nasturtium seeds singly in peat pots a few weeks ago - now half have come up and are potted on, but the other half have done nothing and seem to have a layer of mould on top. I think I should throw these away now - am I right?
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    We planted our raspberries, apples, whitecurrants, redcurrants and tayberry a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know how and when to germinate agapanthus seeds? Pinched a couple of large seedheads from Mum's and said I'd have a go.

I find all this gardening so exciting - I'm a novice too although I used to grow seeds in trays as a kid and give them to Dad to plant out.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ATM I have about 3 beetroot seedlings and one sweetpea seedling struggling to grow everything else is still hiding and I don't blame them!!! :j
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wendrie wrote:
    We've done a sort out of the seeds in the fridge and sent off for our free seed potatoes (well £2 to cover p&p) )

Where do you get your seed potatoes from Wendrie? Have I missed something?
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    I'm pretty new to gardening too so can't answer any of your questions, sorry. Have had success with pumpkins in the past! Great fun. I'm a little scared to post what I've planted incase anyone says 'oh no, you can't plant those yet.' lol.

Anyway, here goes - I have popping up: marigolds (just pricked out into pots), snap dragons, busy lizzies, verbascum and tomatoes. I've just planted today: chillis and sweet peppers, and in the garden I've planted garlic into pots a few weeks back and my seed potatoes are chitting in egg boxes.

This weather has halted my garden sorting out but as soon as I can I'm going to start off a raised bed. I've got some perspex so I'm going to try and make a cold frame with that and may do a 'square-foot garden' plot to start with.

Does anyone have some good tips on sunflower growing? I want to get some really tall ones for the children this year.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Well, my compost did thaw as the afternoon went on, and I got enough into trays to start some planting. I'm still nervous of getting it all wrong, but seeing as last year I was so nervous I didn't end up planting *anything*, this year my philosophy is that I may as well give it a go. If I get it wrong and nothing grows, so what? It's better to take the chance that I might end up with something. :D I'm keeping a notebook 'diary' of my gardening, which I hope will come in helpful next year, so I can see what worked and what didn't.

So, today I planted in my homemade "propagators" the following:

Petunias
    Rudbeckia 'Rustic Dwarfs'
    Black-Eyed Susans (Thunbergia)
    Gaillardia 'Goblin'
    Callistemon (Bottle Brush) - this takes 1-3 months to germinate! They were free seeds with a magazine.
    Tomato 'Moneymaker'

Only one edible thing amongst that lot, but it seems that most of my vegetable seeds need to be sown directly outdoors. I do have a couple more I can start indoors (Dwarf French Beans and Courgettes as well as more flowers) but I think I'll wait a couple more weeks before starting those. :)

Edited to add: How could I forget my lovely tatties?! I've also had some Kestrel potatoes chitting for the last couple of weeks. :) I'll be growing those in bins (with any luck)!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • johlee
    johlee Posts: 186 Forumite
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone can give me any suggestions, My daughter (11) is showing a real interest in growing her own vegetables. I've sorted a patch in the garden for her and bought her some propogaters (sp?) Which veg should she start with ? I don't want her to lose interest if she starts with something difficult to grow and it dies. Also is there anything else she will need ?

Thanks for any advice :)
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm a fellow first time veg grower and I am well on my way to tomatoes, peppers and chillies!

We used a Suttons Foods of the World kit which came with pots, seeds, compost and instructions - not particularly OS but it's been brilliant.

We sowed our seeds halfway through February and now have dozens of tomato seedlings ready to transfer to bigger pots, although the peppers and chillies are only just germinating now.

Will be trying lettuce soon, that doesn't take too long to go from seed to plate apparently.

Our major constraint is space, we don't have a huge garden so are limited to a few gro-bags and an old sink for the lettuces.

Good luck!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    We have a series of threads on what people are growing and since the year is only just starting I'll add your post to the thread where all our gardeners new and old can help you out :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • johlee
    johlee Posts: 186 Forumite
    squeaky wrote:
    We have a series of threads on what people are growing and since the year is only just starting I'll add your post to the thread where all our gardeners new and old can help you out :)

Thank you for your help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport