Homeplug vs Wireless N

BarGin
BarGin Posts: 951 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Can anyone tell me which would be best for streaming HD video from my pc to my ps3, 200Mbps Homeplugs or Wireless N?

Comments

• Interesting question, as I have 80mbps Homelinks.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • scope
    scope Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been running homeplugs (200mb) for a few years now and they are great! With Wifi you tend to loose connection every now and then, it is also a fair bit slower than homeplugs. There are some gigabit ones just around the corner, might be an idea to wait for them. :)
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Id say it depends on the wiring in your house. Ive found my wireless is better than my homeplugs (Marginally)
    :idea:
  • BarGin
    BarGin Posts: 951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    Id say it depends on the wiring in your house. Ive found my wireless is better than my homeplugs (Marginally)
    Is that N or G wireless and what speed Homeplugs?
  • BikerEd
    BikerEd Posts: 405 Forumite
    Just upgraded Homeplug Turbo (85mbps) to Homeplug AV (200mbps) which now allows 720P HD streaming to our xbox 360. Turbo allowed standard resolution video but stuttered sometimes on HD. Tried Wireless-N but sent the box back inside a week as performance was nowhere near as good.
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've gone for old fashioned stable, low latency cat 5, 100mbps cabling. And it works wonders from my Mac to my PS3, and can stream MKV files, nooo problems!

I don't trust these home plugs, and also, a cable is just a cable, no need to plug anything in and waste more electricity.

M
  • elvch01
    elvch01 Posts: 341 Forumite
    markymoo wrote: »
    I've gone for old fashioned stable, low latency cat 5, 100mbps cabling. And it works wonders from my Mac to my PS3, and can stream MKV files, nooo problems!

I don't trust these home plugs, and also, a cable is just a cable, no need to plug anything in and waste more electricity.

M
    Agreed - but its not always practical to run wires round the house. I have 80% of my computer stuff in a basement office, but some stuff in the loft. Wifi is not an option due to thick walls, distance etc and running a cat5 cable would be a right pain, so I use a homeplug and have an ethernet switch in both the basement & the loft
    Chris Elvin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport