Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savvy
    • By savvy 29th Sep 10, 11:17 PM
    • 29,726Posts
    • 45,330Thanks
    savvy
    Making cards - Ideas (part 5)
    • 29th Sep 10, 11:17 PM
    Making cards - Ideas (part 5) 29th Sep 10 at 11:17 PM
    Welcome to the Card Craft thread where there are many members who are new to card making as well as the more experienced members who love helping others out on their path to making cards. If you are new to this craft please do post and somebody will be along with some advice for you

Please note this thread is now a continuation of an original thread on making cards - Part 1, the second thread - Part 2 , the third thread - Part 3, and the fourth thread here - Part 4, it may be a good idea to look these first for advice or ideas.
    Last edited by savvy; 29-09-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 263
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 9th Feb 11, 1:49 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    artydoll
    Afternoon ladies
    Vickspence congrats on your win.
    Marg. hope your cat is ok now,my old cat is deaf .I really made her jump this morning,she didnt see me when I stroked her from behind ,made me laugh,lol.
    Just posted 2 Tilda cards on my thingy in the sky .
    hugs to all xxx
  • RustyFlange
    The-Wife - Hope your grand littlies

Marg - the turtle you saw wasn't Meljens one? was it?

Afternoon ladies, well its been an eventful day, I sliced off part of my finger tip and it took 4 hours to stop bleeding, I am now too scared to removed the rather soggy red plaster incase it starts again!! Hope everyone is ok? Amazing how much I use my small finger to type!! Grrr!

Copics have released 36 new pens just means I need to find another £70 to buy them
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
    • Mad-Frog
    • By Mad-Frog 9th Feb 11, 4:45 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 9,681 Thanks
    Mad-Frog
    Vicspense congratulations on your win

Rusty ouch hope your finger is okay now

Half way through a course this week, in the theme of regulations and rules really hard going and my brain is a bit fried roll on Friday, think I might have a glass of wine later to try and chill a bit, going to order a few new bits and bobs but need to clear up my craft room it really is a tip
    • Marg
    • By Marg 9th Feb 11, 5:24 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    Marg
    Thank you, Peppop & Louby for your help with my search for a star turtle but biggest thanks to Rusty that's exactly the one I was after don't know why I hadn't thought of Meljen I love her stuff.

Hope your finger is OK - Rusty - I'm not brave either.

Artydoll - thanks for asking about my poor cat - she's not quite walking 'right' IYSWIM but doesn't seem to be in any pain - we've got to phone tomorrow for test results for her general health/weight loss. She is 17 this year.

Peppop - can't help you with pricing could you do a test run & see how long it actually takes - it looks complicated to me.
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 9th Feb 11, 5:36 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Hello ladies x

PepPop, I would try and charge depending on cost of materials and how long it takes to make. I have a figure of £7.50 in my head, is that anywhere near your figure?

Rusty, has the parcel that you are not allowed to open arrived? Your finger sounds sore, have you removed the plaster yet...?

Marg, it was my pleasure xxx

Been at an indoor playcentre for most of the day and then helping DS1 with his Victorian homework since leaving off time. I am making cherry tomato soup for my tea with cheesy garlic bread (in this month's Good Food mag). Boys are having something out of the freezer as they both said yuck to my delicious looking soup
    If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain
  • viclspence
    Woohoo, well I won the prize yesterday and its turned up today and they all look fantastic, just got to use some now!
    Life is like a box of chocolates..........you always seem to pick the hard ones!
  • paddingtondoo
    ooohhhh nooooo Rusty - have you taken the plaster off yet - I was bad enough taking the little one off from my bloods yesterday - yep chicken!

My morning went like this:
    woke up was p ing down with rain - thought good will have to take DD to school
    DD got up and sorted by herself - not good
    got to school leaving time - stopped raining - not good
    thought ok there'll be traffic - didn't speed, no traffic, lights on green, even the ones for me to cross the roads walking in were green

walked in at 9:13 - set eyes on boss 2pm (bonus) are you ok deb (I hate her calling me that) she says in cheery voice from behind me- yes (I replied in auto pilot) actually no I'm not - hears panic in her voice - thought OMG now what do I say I never ever say anything just mutter under my breath and take it so told her I'd been for some tests as I'd not been feeling well for ages short conversation about blood tests which ended saying oh I must get the results of mine and wandering off

I was braver than usual and have set the scene should anything else become necessary - didn't feel comfortable having a go at her in the middle of the office back in again tomorrow though

OH is away again tonight - DD has a friend for tea so will throw her in the bath and start crafting - I have an itch for some more proper stamps am getting fed up with fighting with the printer and my images not being the size I thought they would be .

Soooooooooooo if you had roughly £25 - £30 to spend on proper rubber stamps where would you shop and what would you buy? And (you're not gonna believe this) but no bears lol!
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended

• viclspence
    Woohoo, well I won the prize yesterday and its turned up today and they all look fantastic, just got to use some now!
    Originally posted by viclspence
    Also, can anyone suggest a way of storing them, cwc do a specific box with 13 little boxes, so will need two and they are £5 each plus p&p but can anyone suggest anything else?
    Life is like a box of chocolates..........you always seem to pick the hard ones!
  • RustyFlange
    Hello ladies x

PepPop, I would try and charge depending on cost of materials and how long it takes to make. I have a figure of £7.50 in my head, is that anywhere near your figure?

Rusty, has the parcel that you are not allowed to open arrived? Your finger sounds sore, have you removed the plaster yet...?

Marg, it was my pleasure xxx

Been at an indoor playcentre for most of the day and then helping DS1 with his Victorian homework since leaving off time. I am making cherry tomato soup for my tea with cheesy garlic bread (in this month's Good Food mag). Boys are having something out of the freezer as they both said yuck to my delicious looking soup
    Originally posted by rainmac
    Nothing yet I am afraid maybe tomorrow ... can't wait to see it

ooohhhh nooooo Rusty - have you taken the plaster off yet - I was bad enough taking the little one off from my bloods yesterday - yep chicken!

My morning went like this:
    woke up was p ing down with rain - thought good will have to take DD to school
    DD got up and sorted by herself - not good
    got to school leaving time - stopped raining - not good
    thought ok there'll be traffic - didn't speed, no traffic, lights on green, even the ones for me to cross the roads walking in were green

walked in at 9:13 - set eyes on boss 2pm (bonus) are you ok deb (I hate her calling me that) she says in cheery voice from behind me- yes (I replied in auto pilot) actually no I'm not - hears panic in her voice - thought OMG now what do I say I never ever say anything just mutter under my breath and take it so told her I'd been for some tests as I'd not been feeling well for ages short conversation about blood tests which ended saying oh I must get the results of mine and wandering off

I was braver than usual and have set the scene should anything else become necessary - didn't feel comfortable having a go at her in the middle of the office back in again tomorrow though

OH is away again tonight - DD has a friend for tea so will throw her in the bath and start crafting - I have an itch for some more proper stamps am getting fed up with fighting with the printer and my images not being the size I thought they would be .

Soooooooooooo if you had roughly £25 - £30 to spend on proper rubber stamps where would you shop and what would you buy? And (you're not gonna believe this) but no bears lol!
    Originally posted by paddingtondoo
    Glad you have said something, fingers crossed it all works out for you ...

£25-£30 and no bears ... well you could look at Whimsy stamps who have a variety of things, I love their stamps and have a few of them ... or you could look at Ladybug Crafts Ink again they do a whole range of various stamps and I love them all or you could do whipper snapper if you can wait for postage, I ordered on the 1st, it was posted on the 2nd and arrived yesterday

I have had a horrid afternoon with my finger weeping continuously! I had to take off the soaked plaster tonight when my friend came to pick up her son and she was going to help put a new one on ... it had stuck so had to pull it off and the bleeding started again its quite deep!! I ended up round my MIL's and she has dressed it properly for me with strict instructions to go and see Pauls Aunt if it keeps bleeding as she is a nurse!
  • RustyFlange
    Flourgirl - Could you recommend a DST for the lace you put on that stunning card you sent me? and also one you use for your boxes? the strongest one I have used is from poundland but that appears to be peeling slightly
  • RustyFlange
    Also, can anyone suggest a way of storing them, cwc do a specific box with 13 little boxes, so will need two and they are £5 each plus p&p but can anyone suggest anything else?
    Originally posted by viclspence
    Hi, right at Imag-e-nation they have ATC boxes, which are the same boxes that CWC use, think they were either 3 for £1 or 5 for £1, I am trying to find them on the website if I can then I will send a link.

Edit - This is the kind of thing here this is what the card candy store is like at CWC ...

If you prefer something a little prettier then look at the smaller RUBs, something like this
    Last edited by RustyFlange; 09-02-2011 at 7:21 PM.
  • viclspence
    Hi, right at Imag-e-nation they have ATC boxes, which are the same boxes that CWC use, think they were either 3 for £1 or 5 for £1, I am trying to find them on the website if I can then I will send a link.

Edit - This is the kind of thing here this is what the card candy store is like at CWC ...

If you prefer something a little prettier then look at the smaller RUBs, something like this
    Originally posted by RustyFlange
    Ooh thanks, I will have a look.
    • Georgiegirl2012
    • By Georgiegirl2012 9th Feb 11, 7:32 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 6,246 Thanks
    Georgiegirl2012
    Just popping in to say
    Friday
    QVC
    TSV
    MS Punches

http://blogs.qvcuk.com/qgossip/2011/02/craft-guest-alex-peruzzi-chats-about-todays-special-value-.html?cm_re=Banner-_-HeaderPromo-_-Crazyaboutcraft
    • CT19720
    • By CT19720 9th Feb 11, 8:34 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 15,299 Thanks
    CT19720
    I am so sorry I keep going AWOL, real life has just so got in the way of my crafting, and I havenít made any for weeks .

Whilst the kids and OH are watching football, I finally get a chance to catch up with the thread, and read back a few pages.

Welcome to all the recent newbies, and hugs to anyone who needs one.

Congratulations to any recent winners

Marg, hope your eyes are ok. Iím really sorry that I havenít had a chance to enter your challenge on here. I did hope to get some cards, made last weekend but didnít manage it, and Iím not going to have a chance to make one before the challenge finishes. Glad to hear your cat is OK today.

Paddington Ė glad your boss behaved herself this morning Ė canít believe that they are making you go in for Ĺ an hour on your day when you work from home that is just ridiculous.

Louby Ė sorry about the playground bullies. I donít understand the mentality of some of the mums at schools, and their need to be in Ďclickyí groups. Hope the digs at you on FB stop.

Mary-op Ė hope things went ok for you today with your bone scan.

Well done on your card order from your Dad Rusty Ė think you are on to a winner there. Hope your finger heals up really soon.

Rainmac Ė hope your OH has a good birthday on Sunday, and you manage to have a fab day out. Do you have your recipe for rocky road please? Iíve got some friends coming over on Friday to celebrate my birthday, and would love to make something different. Thanksxx

Fab card by your grand daughter Pennib.

Canít believe that it is a year since Carlyís op, that has gone so fast, and am glad she is doing so well. Howís Alicia doing since her treatment in the USA?

PepPop Ė love your other blog, the pram and box are gorgeous, but sorry no idea what you should charge.

As of Friday, I maybe able to keep up a bit more when I am at work, as after almost 3 months in my new job, I think Iím finally getting my very own desk; pc and phone. Been waiting for BT to come and install another line in the office.

Really love my new job, but have had to question my last couple of payslips, as I seem to have been paid a lot less than I was expecting. Thought it was maybe to do with my giving my P45 to the finance guy 7 weeks after I started, but when I asked today, I was told that although my contract says I work 25 hours a week, over 5 days, I am actually being paid for 20 hours a week over 5 days, because the finance guy has assumed that I would be taking a 1 hour lunch break per day, and because no one gets paid for lunch hours he has reduce my paid hours to 20. Really gutted because if I was told that I would be expected to do 20 hours a week over 5 days I would not have taken the job, as the pay cut from my last couple of jobs was just too great. They have promised to sort it out, but I am of the opinion that I signed a contract for 25 hours so that is what I should get paid for, and I have never taken a lunch hour since I started in November. Hopefully, they will back date the money they owe me for they hours they should have been paying me, but if they donít then I want time off in lieu to cover the hours I have done, that would equate to an extra 13 days holiday this year, which with having 2 kids would certainly come in handy. I guess iíll find out tomorrow what they are going to do about the mistake they have made.

Iíll try to catch up with blogs over the next couple of days.

Hugs to all

xx
    2016 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends and family.
    It is also time to save - Aim £4,000 - So far this year - £230/£4,000
    • Mad-Frog
    • By Mad-Frog 9th Feb 11, 8:53 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 9,681 Thanks
    Mad-Frog
    CT If your HR is anything like my HR you will get a different answer from whoever you ask, if your contract is for 25 hours then you should be paid for 25 hours, i.e if you had an hour lunch then that would be unpaid and you would work 30 hours? 'I think' Ask someone else!!

Stoopid question alert!!

All my stamps are arranged perfectly! crammed in a drawer, do any of you arrange your stamps by make? etc and if so how do you do it? I just spent about twenty minutes trying to find a stamp I want, thinking about stealing 'borrowing' some clear folders from work but if you lovely people have some better ideas??
    • CT19720
    • By CT19720 9th Feb 11, 9:04 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 15,299 Thanks
    CT19720
    Thanks Mad-Frog - that what I thought. The finance guy, and my boss were going to discuss it with the Executive Director, so guess will get an answer tomorrow. Interestingly enough though, we had a new girl start on Monday, and I know for a fact that her contract states she is employed for 37.5 hours for xx amount of money. It certainly doesn't say she is employed for 42.5 hours, but will only get paid for 37.5 because of the 1 hour lunch hour she gets each day, so why would mine be interpreted any different (shruggy shoulder thingy). Oh I know why, it is because I am part-time! I have also worked part-time long enough to know that if you work under 6 hours you are not entitled to a lunch hour anyway. Hey ho - will see what they have to say tomorrow.
    2016 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends and family.
    • flourgirl
    • By flourgirl 9th Feb 11, 9:08 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 44,884 Thanks
    flourgirl
    Rusty thanks for that link, I have ordered the pack of 25!! Not sure what I'm gonna do with them all yet lol The DST I use on my boxes is the reinforced stuff I get for the ATG its brilliant, the stuff I used on that card was from Craft Creations. I used to share an order with my friend cos the postage is steep plus if you bulk buy you get discounts.
  • dragonllew
    CT If your HR is anything like my HR you will get a different answer from whoever you ask, if your contract is for 25 hours then you should be paid for 25 hours, i.e if you had an hour lunch then that would be unpaid and you would work 30 hours? 'I think' Ask someone else!!
    Originally posted by Mad-Frog
    Thanks Mad-Frog - that what I thought. The finance guy, and my boss were going to discuss it with the Executive Director, so guess will get an answer tomorrow. Interestingly enough though, we had a new girl start on Monday, and I know for a fact that her contract states she is employed for 37.5 hours for xx amount of money. It certainly doesn't say she is employed for 42.5 hours, but will only get paid for 37.5 because of the 1 hour lunch hour she gets each day, so why would mine be interpreted any different (shruggy shoulder thingy). Oh I know why, it is because I am part-time! I have also worked part-time long enough to know that if you work under 6 hours you are not entitled to a lunch hour anyway. Hey ho - will see what they have to say tomorrow.
    Originally posted by CT19720
    I do the wages where I work and if you are contracted for 25 hrs then you would get paid for 25hrs you get paid teabreaks depending on how many hrs you workbut if you was to have a lunch hour that is unpaid. Hope you get it sorted
  • craftygranny
    CT . Hope you get things sorted at work. If they'd paid you an hour a day too much they'd make sure you gave it back.

The last year has certainly gone fast . I can't believe it's 12 months since carlys op either . The big man sees her again tomorrow so we should know how well she's doing then.

Alicia seems to be doing ok at the moment fingers crossed . Her tumour is still there but isn't growing again which is what they hoped for. . Unfortunately though she keeps getting cysts right on and by the tumour which puts pressure on it so they have to drain the cysts then it doesn't disturb it. She's fine in herself at the moment though. she started school in september and she loves it.
    Cross Stitch Challenge Member Number 20

New challenge finish birth sampler by end of the month
    No matter how much life knocks you down, it's your ability to get back up, brush yourself off and face your next set of challenges that makes you stronger
    • CT19720
    • By CT19720 9th Feb 11, 9:57 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 15,299 Thanks
    CT19720
    CT . Hope you get things sorted at work. If they'd paid you an hour a day too much they'd make sure you gave it back.

The last year has certainly gone fast . I can't believe it's 12 months since carlys op either . The big man sees her again tomorrow so we should know how well she's doing then.

Alicia seems to be doing ok at the moment fingers crossed . Her tumour is still there but isn't growing again which is what they hoped for. . Unfortunately though she keeps getting cysts right on and by the tumour which puts pressure on it so they have to drain the cysts then it doesn't disturb it. She's fine in herself at the moment though. she started school in september and she loves it.
    Originally posted by craftygranny
    Thanks for the update on Alicia - glad to hear she is doing ok for the time being - fingers and toes crossed that things stay that way for her.

Thanks for the advice re hours/pay - looking forward to seeing what they tell me tomorrow. To be honest I am fully expecting them to agree that the finance guy has made a mistake, and from now on I will be paid my correct salary for 25 hours, and that they will back date the payment from when I started in November. Don't really think they will try to wriggle out of it as my contract has been signed by them and me. The £3,000 that I am being underpaid per year, will buy an awful lot of stash when I go to the states in the summer, so it has a plus side .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,947Posts Today

8,633Users online

Martin's Twitter