Tesco shares, when to buy?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You know what they say.. When everyone is running for the hills then that is the time to buy.

I don't think we are at that point yet though and as I am not a value investor I wouldn't like to say when that would be!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    Not if your are trying to make money out of it.

And NO company is too big to fall !

Tesco's has the ability to damage it's rivals.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ok Tesco is on a bit of a downer at the moment but you'd always expect a company of that size who have been a market leader for so many years will come back again.
    Although look back in history and you'll find others that were 100% safe and have disappeared leaving debt behind them.
    I think i'd gamble a few bob on them. But don't put your shirt on it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Thrugelmir
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Ok Tesco is on a bit of a downer at the moment but you'd always expect a company of that size who have been a market leader for so many years will come back again.
    Although look back in history and you'll find others that were 100% safe and have disappeared leaving debt behind them.

The retail sectors woes extend far beyond Tesco's. More to do with current economic reality than financial engineering.
  • I wouldn't touch Tesco until at least after xmas trading figures are released, this company is in a mess and its going to take a lot of painful decisions and cost savings to get this behemoth where it needs to be. If Christmas is a big flop its panic stations IMO.
  • Thrugelmir
    BLB53 wrote: »
    People here are fickle - shopping at Aldi/Lidl is a bit trendy at present but their combined share of the market is only around 10% despite a big increase over the past 2 or 3 yrs.

Value for money is how Tesco's turned around before. Now they've lost that mantle. As took their customers for a ride. Nothing trendy about straightforward simple pricing.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Minrich wrote: »
    Too many doom merchants talking about Tesco . It still has 28% of the market even after all the bad stuff that has happened lately . It is just a blip that may take a while to resolve. Shares are not meant to be a method of investing to get a quick profit. We have held shares in Tesco for 15 years plus . I think Tesco is good value now but it could drop if more negative stuff appears. Lewis will get it sorted

Blind optimist. And you have kept your shares for too long.

The minus to Tesco is they have too many large out of town stores which customers are stopping going to.

The only reason they hold a 28% share of the market is because they have more shops than anyone else. Where ever you look, there's a Tesco

I have in my town 1 Tesco Extra and 9 Tesco Expresses. My town is not that big.

Plus A large land bank which they have had to write down in value.

They have one site in my town where they were going to put another Tesco Extra but shelved it and then rented out the site to The Range.

More negative stories WILL still appear because as a large player in the food market, they have been caught with their trousers down.

Any turn around to Tesco is going to take years not a few months to sort out. A sort out of personnel and some being shown the door will happen.

Just so people know, I remember when Tesco used to give out Green Shield stamps and their shops made the CoOp look like Waitrose.:rotfl:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58
    edited 29 October 2014 at 11:53PM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Tesco's has the ability to damage it's rivals.

So how are they going to damage their biggest rivals Aldi and Lidl who are a world wide companies with more stores than WalMart?
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Value for money is how Tesco's turned around before. Now they've lost that mantle. As took their customers for a ride. Nothing trendy about straightforward simple pricing.

Yep!

The ride was they wanted at least a 5.6% profit on every pound they took.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Minrich
    Minrich Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    robin58 wrote: »
    Yep!

The ride was they wanted at least a 5.6% profit on every pound they took.

Hardly huge ! My parents ran a large Supermarket and their profit margin was 19% , they retired ten years ago . It provided a personal touch with either my mum or dad always on the shop floor talking to customers . They had been on the same estate for over 40 years .

Food shopping is a chore , spicing it up to make it more enjoyable might help .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure