Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Company charging me for opting out of auto enrolement pension

Hi,
I have opted out of the auto-enrolement pension at work, but they are charging me 2% of my salary each month for admin costs!!! No money is being paid into the pension by me or the company so can they do this?
I had no idea when i opted out that this would be the case.
If I opt in I have to pay a 4% contribution minimum and at present I cant afford it so opted out. But I may as well opt back into it if 2% is being thrown down the drain anyway
Can they really charge me for doing nothing ?

Comments

• Can you confirm that you've raised this 2% fee with them and they've confirmed all of this in writing or email?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Does not sound right or fair
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but they are charging me 2% of my salary each month for admin costs!!!

Dont you mean pension contribution rather than salary?

I suggest you are mistaken in your figures. Take another look.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • if what you are saying is correct then you need to contact the pensions regulator. You cannot be charged an Admin fee for opting out. Your company is already saving money by you opting out as for the next 3 years they are not paying your contribution. Further there is no admin cost to them.

Which AE scheme were you auto enrolled into?

The Pension Regulator can be found at http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/autoenrolment
    :jI am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance :j
  • kylataff wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have opted out of the auto-enrolement pension at work, but they are charging me 2% of my salary each month for admin costs!!! No money is being paid into the pension by me or the company so can they do this?
    I had no idea when i opted out that this would be the case.
    If I opt in I have to pay a 4% contribution minimum and at present I cant afford it so opted out. But I may as well opt back into it if 2% is being thrown down the drain anyway
    ~

you need to contact The Pensions Regulator regarding this as soon as possible
  • Your_Hero
    Your_Hero Posts: 883 Forumite
    This is an old thread (check dates) and the OP hasn't even replied so I'm guessing it was all a misunderstanding and it's been sorted now.
    Stephen Covey once said that "when you teach once, you learn twice". That is the primary reason for my participation on the forums as an IFA.

Although I strive to provide accurate information in my posts, there may be the odd time when I fail. Yes I know it's hard to believe but even Your Hero can make mistakes. Apologies in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure