Wickes kitchen sale(s)

We're just completed (finally!) on a house than needs a lot of work and so we've starting to think about kitchens. We've been deliberating between a Wickes kitchen and an Ikea one as the B&Q and Homebase ones don't appeal either design or price wise. Have yet to investigate MFI and others but we have a rather low budget and a big kitchen to refit, so figure there's not much point in looking at what we can't afford.

We went to Wickes on the weekend and sat down with the designer. The deal seemed quite good but we still want to think about the design as we weren't entirely thrilled with his design and don't want to rush into this. But their 50% off deal ends on Thursday.

I think I prefer their design looks-wise over the similar-ish Ikea one. But suspect Ikea will come out cheaper anyway.

Do Wickes have sales/special deals on kitchen units all that often - ie every few months or is this just a once a year thing?

Comments

• suniil
    suniil Posts: 447 Forumite
    at least for last 7 months (while i was in the market for kitchen) they were doing *sales*. Usually spend and save or 40% off and often 10% off on top of the 365 day sale

finally settled down with Ikea due the ease and online planner

saved atleast £2000 too
  • pdrskint
    pdrskint Posts: 100 Forumite
    i was serching kitchen sites and found this. havnt used them but prices look good.

www.cheaperthanmfi.com

let us know.:confused:
  • Hi,

We run a small friendly business based in Lancashire selling made to measure and standard sized kitchen & bedroom carcasses including kitchen and bedroom doors. Mainly to builders and joiners. Hope that maybe :rolleyes: of interest. http://www.basicallydoors.co.uk
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When we bought our kitchen from Wickes, we wanted a little longer to think about it, and like you the offer was ending. The consultant their said they usually have about an extra 7 days in which they can offer you the old offer, try asking, it worked for us.
  • oni_2
    oni_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    any kitchen but not mfi i wouldn't set my foot there
  • majjie
    majjie Posts: 282 Forumite
    That'll be the New Year Sale that is just ending - but then Easter is coming up soon and the Spring Sale!

I think by law the kitchens of all the multiples have to be for sale at the list price for a few weeks, at some time in the year - but I wouldn't worry too much about catching any one particular sale.

IKEA are more honest and use the same prices all year round. Howdens reduce their prices by a trade discount - not a Sale - so they don't have to worry about selling at the list price.

Have you ever looked at the list prices! You could get a really good quality hand made kitchen for some of those prices.
    I write blogs about kitchens ... and I design kitchens for a living ... I just love kitchens!
  • yes the Wickes saleswoman told me this week that we'd have up to 14 days after the sale ended to place our order at those prices (plus an extra 10% discount on top). So you'll be fine. I don't believe they ever sell those kitchens at the true list price. You can always get a discount. We've actually decided now to go with the Ikea option anyway ...
  • Thanks for the replies. And also for the links - will check them out.We are still undecided with the Wickes Windsor vs the Ikea Stat, but in any case need to get the rewiring and plastering and building work sorted first before putting the kitchen in. AND if it doesn't cost too much then we'll demolish some walls and have a big open plan space which warrants a more modern layout and modern glossy or similar kitchen doors style anyway.

We're still playing around with ideas as this is the first kitchen we've ever designed so exciting and scary at the same time, so it all takes a bit of thinking re what goes where and do we really need the gazillion wall cupboards that Wickes suggested.

Strangely Wickes seem to still have the sale prices inline, so I assume their Jan/Feb sale was no great unusual thing and seems to be ongoing albeit not in flashing lights or with a name. And if there is an Easter sale anyway, then we'll wait and get our ideas honed before buying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure