CAT FLEAS - merged

Comments

• Hi, there are some tablets you can use from 4 weeks that kill all fleas on her, but they don't stop the eggs etc but I do know from the vets you can get a frontline that you can use from 8 weeks as i got this for my beautiful pure white maine coon, who you could see every speck of dust on!! She's 15 months now and still the second a flea goes near her I'm onto it! You'd be amazed how quickly and frequently I de-flea now, much sooner than the stated time of about 4 weeks. hth.x
  • You'll probably want to go to the vets this time around so you can get the Frontline ASAP, especially as the postal strike is still on, but you can buy Frontline spot on and Drontal worming tablets from online pet pharmacies without a prescription. A 6 pack of Frontline (6 months worth) is £15ish, a 3 pack is £9ish from https://www.vetuk.co.uk, drontal worming tablets £1.50 - free postage and fast delivery. I've also used https://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk and they were excellent too, have found vetuk to be slightly cheaper for the items I normally buy.

You'll also need to spray the house with a vet strength flea spray (don't buy the stuff you can get from petshops/supermarkets, it's a false economy as it doesn't work). I use Indorex but there are others such as Acclaim & Staykill - all menat to be very effective and cover you for 12 months. The Indorex is £11 from vetuk also.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Even if your kitten had been wormed before you picked her up - shes due to be wormed again now - every 2 weeks until 16 weeks then every few months after. As previously posted, you do need to see a vet to get treatment for a kitten, supermarket stuff isnt advisable. After the first lot of treatment theres nothing to stop you buying cheaper online.
  • meeps
    meeps Posts: 465 Forumite
    i got the tablets called 4 fleas for my little one, she came to me with fleas and we got rid of most with combing then the tablet, she then caught them again when she went back to visit for the day, and then again when I saw my mums cat and must have brought back eggs on my clothes...
    I didn't think it would be a problem till she started going out lol. At least she is used to being sat on my lap and combed through though!
  • chrisyklx
    chrisyklx Posts: 34 Forumite
    my cat had fleas once and it is difficult to buy products that you can use on beds, if you have a steamer such as the small hand ones or perhaphs borrow one, steam all your beds, carpets cushions etc, this will kill the fleas and eggs and then just hoover afterwards. it worked for me and was a lot cheaper than buying flea products. just remember, don't use it on the cat!!!! buy flea drops for her instead. hope this is any help to you
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Theres a greta free downladable fact sheet o the Birmingham Council website, might be worth a look. Address is www.birmingham.gov.uk
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • i read on another forum that by putting a teaspoon of cornflour in the hoover bag everytime you change it will kill any fleas that get sucked up, also , have i said on another thread is steam everywhere. if you have a household steamer, like the cheap hand held ones for around £10 you can use this on the beds, carpets etc it will also kill dustmites and bedmites and is also handy for everyday cleaning around the house. my cat had fleas once and has he slept on the beds it was difficult to buy products for this purpose, but the steamer seemed to kill them all of and no problems since
  • Aldeney
    Aldeney Posts: 429 Forumite
    I got a cat from a rescue centre about 3 months ago and since then he has not been outside, has never shown any interest in it. I have kept up his frontline treatments but he hates having it done & gets really stressed.

As he does not have any contact with other cats at the moment is it necessary to use flea treatment on him? I ocassionally have contact with my mum's cats & my husband sometimes comes into contact with domestic animals through his work so didn't know if there was a possibility of fleas being transferred to him that way?

I am grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Aldeney x
  • It's advisible to treat for fleas even if they don't go outside because you do. Humans can track eggs into a house, even if they're not in contact with animals but you 2 are so it would be for the best (I really should practice what I preach).

Are you using a spot on method for treatment? I dewormer my very nervous cat like that and she was fine.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I personally cant see the point of putting very toxic poisons on your pet "just in case".

If you don't have fleas and your cat don't go out then no need to treat every month. Just groom you cat regularly and keep an eye, if he does get fleas - then treat. As long as you treat the house at the same time fleas are easy enough to deal with
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure