PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EPC Certificate Query?

When your renting or selling you need a valid EPC certificate, which lasts up to 10 years. But if you only bought the property 3 years ago, can't you use that as your EPC ? Or is each new owner required to get one?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    When your renting or selling you need a valid EPC certificate, which lasts up to 10 years. But if you only bought the property 3 years ago, can't you use that as your EPC ?
    If the certificate is still less than 10 years old (which at the moment it must be!), yes.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just looked up and my property is still on the EPC register and I could download it. It said it was done in 2008? So can I just use it, as it's still in date? Or do I have to get a new one to market my property?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    I just looked up and my property is still on the EPC register and I could download it. It said it was done in 2008? So can I just use it, as it's still in date? Or do I have to get a new one to market my property?
    Like I said, if it's less than 10 years old it's still valid.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Like I said, if it's less than 10 years old it's still valid.
    See post 2 above.
  • Adly812
    Thanks ����
  • Adly812
    No but I have put double glazing in?
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Then, in order to attract the best price, get one done. You can get one for £40, or get one free from an agent.... but that might tie you to that agent somewhat, as they'll do nowt for free really.

DG may well bump your EPC rating up by a decent chunk. Make sure you also stick in energy saving bulbs to boost it as well!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes look at cheap ways to get a better EPC rating.
    Have you got Good loft insulation ? 10" ?
    LED bulbs are now much cheaper and give instant brightness.
    Higher wattage can make a small room look bigger/brighter/warmer.
    They do warm white and cool white .
    Staging the property will help get a sale and a good price.
  • Out of interest how much does it cost to get an EPC ?
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Look on internet for local people doing EPC
    We paid about £50 but you can pay twice that amount if you ask an estate agent to sort.
    Shiny suits to pay for
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport