Boiling water and plastic pipes

Our shower has been a bit slow to drain recently. My partner is very averse to using harsh chemicals so decided to pour a kettle of boiling water down the shower drain. We have plastic pipes and I understand she may have done some damage. How likely is it that this might cause a problem, and if it did, how soon would we be likely to know about it? The shower is a cubicle and there is a removable panel giving access underneath if needed, although if it's done damage to pipes further down the system it is a bit of a worry to think about what fixing it might involve.

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our shower has been a bit slow to drain recently. My partner is very averse to using harsh chemicals so decided to pour a kettle of boiling water down the shower drain. We have plastic pipes and I understand she may have done some damage. How likely is it that this might cause a problem, and if it did, how soon would we be likely to know about it? The shower is a cubicle and there is a removable panel giving access underneath if needed, although if it's done damage to pipes further down the system it is a bit of a worry to think about what fixing it might involve.

I would not worry, we have used boiling water to help waste pipe problem many times without having any adverse effect either on the pipes or the joints.
    Plastic piping these days is manufactured to stand up to rough/boiling treatment {unlike back in the mid 60's where the glues used to join the pipes could {and did} cause problems :)
  • RainbowLaura
    RainbowLaura Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2017 at 1:40PM
    Oops sorry wrong thread, entered in error.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Basic UPVC plastic waste pipes are designed for 60 ish degrees. Constant higher temperature than this will cause the plastic to go brittle and warp.

Marley sell high temperature waste pipe for high temps
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Thanks for the replies folks. The drainage hasn't been quite right since we had the shower installed about six months ago tbh, but I thought it was due to the decorative domed cover over the waste, it was always fine as long as we showered with that off. Starting to worry that there's something up with the piping as we now get an inch or so of standing water when we shower, which drains within a minute of the shower being switched off. We do take very long showers and it's still never been anywhere close to overflowing or anything, but it is getting worse :S
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the replies folks. The drainage hasn't been quite right since we had the shower installed about six months ago tbh, but I thought it was due to the decorative domed cover over the waste, it was always fine as long as we showered with that off. Starting to worry that there's something up with the piping as we now get an inch or so of standing water when we shower, which drains within a minute of the shower being switched off. We do take very long showers and it's still never been anywhere close to overflowing or anything, but it is getting worse :S

Have you tried using a plunger, (although you need to be careful as someone on here said using a plunger caused a leak but I think that is very unusual)?

I use one of these every few months (I have a large one for the kitchen sink and a smaller one for the shower):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P0F4A?!!!!!amz-mkt-opr-uk-21&ascsub!!!!!1ba00-01000-org00-def00-other-nomod-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4
  • No we've not SuzieSue, will give it a go and see if we have any luck with that. We do have a hair trap which sits inside the drain though, which gets cleaned every week or so, and I'm not sure what could get past that. I suppose soap scum might be the culprit. Cheers
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The drainage hasn't been quite right since we had the shower installed about six months ago tbh, but I thought it was due to the decorative domed cover over the waste, it was always fine as long as we showered with that off.

Did you talk to the plumber who installed the shower?
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    No we've not SuzieSue, will give it a go and see if we have any luck with that. We do have a hair trap which sits inside the drain though, which gets cleaned every week or so, and I'm not sure what could get past that. I suppose soap scum might be the culprit. Cheers

You'd be surprised. Probably TMI but I get black rubbery bits about the size of a 10p piece coming up and they certainly didn't go down there because I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-Stainless-Steel-Strainer-Silver/dp/B004KLU6I6
  • We didn't contact him no, because initially we assumed it was the design of the drain (the domed cap) which was remedied by removing it when showering. But now it's a problem even when the cap is off. It's been worse within the last week or two. Would it be too late to call him back now? It was fitted mid October.
  • Yes that looks as effective as ours SuzieSue, so we will def try your advice. Would 5-6 months be enough to cause a blockage like that? Also we started using bar soap instead of gels following the new shower (no particular reason) and the cubicle gets a lot more scummed up than previously. Could this make a difference?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure