Charges for telephone call

I've just got off the phone with my Mortgage provider. The Direct Debit was returned by my bank whilst I was abroad, all sorted and payment now made. They attempted to ring me twice whilst I was at work and unable to answer as well as the call I've answered today. They have informed me as well as the returned DD charge (fair enough) I will be charged £40 for each attempted call totalling £120. This seems like daylight robbery and on the face of it seems unfair. DO you agree? Would I need to first officially complain to the company?
Debt on 25/5/17
Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Unless the charges have not been applied correctly, I can't see you having any luck with a refund. Under no circumstances use the word "unfair" in any complaint as the Banks won their court case about unfair charges in 2009.

However, depending on the tone of any complaint (and also if this is a "first offence"), the Bank may still agree to refund this charge but only as a goodwill gesture.

Word your letter carefully
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This seems like daylight robbery and on the face of it seems unfair. DO you agree?

Arrears charages have to be justified. Having a staff member allocate time to deal with you and you not being available costs firms money. So, documenting their costs under time spent is increasingly common and considered fairer than the old automatic charge with no explanation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure