My time has finally come......

Options

Comments

• rockingbilly
    Options
    Stage one has been completed...that is the phonecall, which took place yesterday.

I don't use the phone, so was a little concerned about this part! However Mum was able to do most of the talking. I just had to state my name and say that I wanted Mum to do all the talking for me...and then listen to two statements being read aloud to me (one to say that they would contact my GP and other agencies....and one to say that to the best of my knowledge everything Mum had said was true.) and acknowledge that I understood and accepted these statements....the whole thing took about 20 or 30 minutes, but was a free call.....Stressful, but not insurmountable.

Now I just wait for the paperwork to be sent to me.

The woman on the phone was basically filling out a form on my behalf with basic details....the exact details will be for me/Mum to fill in when the forms are sent to us....it was apparent that the woman was reading from a script....interestingly one of the questions she asked was whether I have any of a list of conditions, including Autism (I am Autistic), so I wonder if this will affect the process.

One other minor point...the woman asked for my phone number, and Mum offered her own number....the woman seemed slightly surprised that I don't have a phone - and said they won't accept Mum's number...so ALL contact from now will be via post. ...I would have thought that the DWP would prefer to phone as it is quicker!

I went through that earlier this month. They got to the bit about GP details which confused me as they ask that information again on the PIP2 form so I told her I will supply all of the relevant info when that form comes. Then, as you say, they asked questions about various conditions which I replied yes to some of them. She said that she would arrange for someone from the DWP to help me fill out the form. She then asked if I would like evidence that may be with my DLA file to be used for PIP. I asked her to let me see the file and I would send back what I think is important. Then she moved to the two statements. The one about agreeing that they can share information with anybody they like was worrying. So I told them that I won't agree to that until they tell me where all of this information will end up. I then asked for a copy of the form she had completed which still hasn't come.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Just be aware that they very rarely contact GPs. So don't expect them to have any information that you don't give them yourself.

They do prefer phone, but if it's your mum's number there'll be confidentiality and possibly data protection issues so they won't be able to use it. If you're as bad as me on the phone it's probably better if everything's in writing, so you get chance to properly read it and think things through before replying.
    I wouldn't say that they prefer the phone it's more like you have to use the phone!

So far two letters were sent to the DWP asking for a PIP1 as I wanted to keep a record of what I had said and I am not that good with talking on the phone. Both letters were sent by recorded delivery and I have a copy of the signed for sheet. Those letters were issued 17th December and 3rd January. As the date to make the claim was the 10th January I had no alternative but to make that call on the 7th January. The girl taking that call promised that she would arrange for the PIP1 that she completed to be sent to me for my records.
    I never received the PIP1, nor have I received any reply to those letters or even the promised PIP1 that she filled in!!
    I do wonder what would have happened if I had not phoned them to start the claim? Time for a letter of complaint I think.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    So.....I eventually filled in the booklet...attached the evidence I felt was relevant...photocopied the lot so I have a copy for my own file...and sent it off, after getting proof of postage.

Now all I have to do is wait for them to look at it....right?

A couple of days ago, a brown envelope comes through the door...basically telling me that they haven't received my claim yet and if I don't send it soon my claim will be closed.

Mum/Carer got on the phone - and surprise surprise they DO have the form!

Now call me cynical, but I can't help wondering if they did this deliberately to see if I would phone to sort things out myself (I have stated - quite correctly - that I don't use the phone).
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So.....I eventually filled in the booklet...attached the evidence I felt was relevant...photocopied the lot so I have a copy for my own file...and sent it off, after getting proof of postage.

Now all I have to do is wait for them to look at it....right?

A couple of days ago, a brown envelope comes through the door...basically telling me that they haven't received my claim yet and if I don't send it soon my claim will be closed.

Mum/Carer got on the phone - and surprise surprise they DO have the form!

Now call me cynical, but I can't help wondering if they did this deliberately to see if I would phone to sort things out myself (I have stated - quite correctly - that I don't use the phone).
    No not really. The letter they sent you was most probably computer generated and automatically sent to you. Post takes quite some time to get the right department in some cases 10 days. Your form probably hadn't arrived and put on the computer when that letter was sent out to you.

Yes now you have to wait. Most people have face 2 face assessment with only a few people having paper based decisions. They'll write to you with an appointment date and time if assessment is needed. If the appointment isn't suitable you can only cancel this once and rebook, if you need to do this make sure the date and time they give you is suitable before agreeing to it.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hi Prinzess remember the person who started a thread and then life began to throw everything possible in her way ?
    Re PIP you may recall dd had recieved her invitation to transfer from dla when I last posted . Like your mum I did the usual phoning to start things off and to sort any hiccups that cropped up along the way . For the first time ever had to request an extension as dd was adamant she wanted to explain first hand . Our gp wrote an amazing letter detailing all her diagnoses , day to day difficulties and asked the matter be dealt with in a sensitive and timely manner . He gave me a copy of the one he was sending to dwp which I a sent off with the claim form as backup in case his went astray in the system .
    At his request an appt was sent for a face to face home assessment .
    That appt was changed by atos twice by phone , the second time was an hour before the visit so that was hard for my daughter to cope with . However the third appt went ahead and I think maybe good karma was involved . We were sent an angel , experienced nurse with a husband with a disability who was sensitive , kind and gentle .
    A warning - may not happen in your area bur it took 5 months from starting the claim to finally recieving the award letter . Which was hard on someone with both physical and mental health disorders . She was so panic stricken the anxiety began to get to me which normally doesn't happen .
    She was awarded enhanced rate in both daily living and mobility . Dla had always been high care , low mobility so they got it spot on this time .
    Sending you positive vibes and hope you've settled in your new home x
    I will resume the thread unless any of the others fancy giving it a bump and I'll catch up on all I've missed following a heck of a year for many reasons .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    Hi Prinzess remember the person who started a thread and then life began to throw everything possible in her way ?
    Re PIP you may recall dd had recieved her invitation to transfer from dla when I last posted . Like your mum I did the usual phoning to start things off and to sort any hiccups that cropped up along the way . For the first time ever had to request an extension as dd was adamant she wanted to explain first hand . Our gp wrote an amazing letter detailing all her diagnoses , day to day difficulties and asked the matter be dealt with in a sensitive and timely manner . He gave me a copy of the one he was sending to dwp which I a sent off with the claim form as backup in case his went astray in the system .
    At his request an appt was sent for a face to face home assessment .
    polly

Hi just for my info really as I feel that I was let down by the DWP.
    When you applied for an extension, how long did the DWP give you to send the form back?
    I was only given 7 days which was still 5 days short of the date I had an appointment for to see Welfare rights. As a last resort I had to have the DWP help me fill out the PIP claim form.
    Subsequently from talking to those at the Welfare Rights, 7 days is now becoming the norm - and not the 14 days previously offered in the past.

You have a very supportive GP, most GPs' will not entertain anything to do with letters/evidence etc relating to benefit claims unless the DWP contact them direct.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi just for my info really as I feel that I was let down by the DWP.
    When you applied for an extension, how long did the DWP give you to send the form back?
    I was only given 7 days which was still 5 days short of the date I had an appointment for to see Welfare rights. As a last resort I had to have the DWP help me fill out the PIP claim form.
    Subsequently from talking to those at the Welfare Rights, 7 days is now becoming the norm - and not the 14 days previously offered in the past.

You have a very supportive GP, most GPs' will not entertain anything to do with letters/evidence etc relating to benefit claims unless the DWP contact them direct.
    I was given 14 days for mine and that was for ESA and PIP.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Just noticed the question re extension . When I spoke to dwp they allowed 14 extra days , may be different now as that was earlier last year .
    Yes we are lucky to have a lovely doctor , he took over when the original doctor who did my antenatal care for all my children retired , both of them were good and all her history is well known at the practise . I truly wish everyone was so fortunate . He went the extra mile and refused payment for the extensive and time consuming work he willingly undertook with a smile .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a few of these. Generally 14 days but have had the odd case where it's been longer when we've explained that it's not possible to get an appointment for help before a certain date. I've always found DWP fine about extensions if you explaining why and contact them in good time

As ever, RockingBilly's experiences are different to the majority
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2017 at 1:41PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Had a few of these. Generally 14 days but have had the odd case where it's been longer when we've explained that it's not possible to get an appointment for help before a certain date. I've always found DWP fine about extensions if you explaining why and contact them in good time

As ever, RockingBilly's experiences are different to the majority

Is that so?

Maybe I didn't push them or explain why I wanted the extension? You see that is one of my many problems, not explaining things properly and feeling intimidated when speaking to those in authority over the phone. I am fine with letters but not phone calls.
    I just asked how long would they give me and he said 7 days, I said OK. He should have said 14 then or asked me why I wanted the extension.

You should not criticise people who are not as good on the phone as you are
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport