Tesco Gift Card - Is there a way to transfer some of the balance onto a new card?

Options
For complicated reasons I won't go into, I have ended up with a single Tesco Gift Card containing a ridiculously high balance. I'm afraid to carry the card with me in case I lose my wallet!

I have asked Tesco Customer Services, and the official line is that there is no way to transfer part of the balance onto a new Gift Card.

However, I just wondered if the collective wisdom of this Forum knows of an unofficial way to achieve this?

I'm not trying to do anything dishonest - I simply want to split the balance onto more than one Gift Card to reduce the loss should I happen to lose the card.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There is nothing in the FAQs on their site that says you cannot use it to buy more gift cards ( or anything else for that matter )
    http://www.tesco.com/help/in-store-faq/

Under the heading "what can I buy with a Tesco Gift Card ?" it says

It can be spent in our stores nationwide or online at Tesco direct, entertainment and wine by the case. Sorry, you cannot use your Tesco Gift Card to buy groceries, books or clothing online yet, but we are working on it.

I would suggest printing off this page and taking it to store when you go to buy your cards
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Might work if you purchase something with gift card 1, then return to store for refund onto a 2nd giftcard.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks both.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't use a gift card to purchase another gift card, but agreed there is no reference to this on the FAQ, so I will give this a go.

Buying a product in the full knowledge that I am going to take it straight back for a refund seems like an abuse of Tesco's very fair returns policy. I don't really like that option, but I appreciate the suggestion - thanks.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't use a gift card to purchase another gift card, but agreed there is no reference to this on the FAQ, so I will give this a go.

It worked!
    I just asked for the amount I wanted on the new Gift Card as normal, then just paid using the existing Gift Card :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure