Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently spent just under £1000 in Turkey using Halifax Clarity - no commission, paid up in full on return home, £1.89 interest to pay but got £5.00 credit for spending more than £300 in a month!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 May 2011 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Dear peat and all
    DOes cash withdrawal count toward the threshold spend of £300 in a month to get reward of £5 ?

Thank you
    peat wrote: »
    I recently spent just under £1000 in Turkey using Halifax Clarity - no commission, paid up in full on return home, £1.89 interest to pay but got £5.00 credit for spending more than £300 in a month!
  • icclewu
    icclewu Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 May 2011 at 2:04PM
    Options
    hi.
    We are travelling to Las Vegas next month for a wedding/holiday. I have a Natwest debit card and no credit cards due to poor credit rating.
    could anyone please advise me of the best options for money and prepay cards for when we go over there.
    I have been to get leaflets today from Thomson and Thomas Cook on their prepaid Mastercards. Are these worth getting????
    Thank you in advance :j
  • AndreaHamilton
    Options
    Hi - I'm spending a month in France very soon leaving from the UK where I live. I need to spend a lot of money to cover rent etc and wonder what the best credit card for me is. Specifically I will: Pay credit card off in full every month but want to avoid interest, want no load fee and preferably no cash withdrawal fee. Can you help quickly?? I have to leave around 23rd!
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I'm spending a month in France very soon leaving from the UK where I live. I need to spend a lot of money to cover rent etc and wonder what the best credit card for me is. Specifically I will: Pay credit card off in full every month but want to avoid interest, want no load fee and preferably no cash withdrawal fee. Can you help quickly?? I have to leave around 23rd!
    Halifax Clarity is probably the top pick, see the article on the main site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#topcards
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    icclewu wrote: »
    I have been to get leaflets today from Thomson and Thomas Cook on their prepaid Mastercards. Are these worth getting?
    See the article on the main site - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#topcards scroll down to the section entitled "Prepaid cards for added security"
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The ATM cash withdrawals were my only transactions
  • iblametheparents
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    Don't quite understand what you are saying there - is this an actual permanent charge - or a temporary accounting thing that is resolved when the transaction is finalised?

It's temporary until the transaction is finalised.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2011 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Isn't it that any cash machine which accept Visa card is highly likely will also accept Master Card.

For I what have seen, any cash/ATM machines in the UK or abroad which has Visa Logo (to accept Visa) is almost certain will also have Master Card Logo on it.

So knowing where the Visa cash machines location is enough to find where the Cash machines location are.

Any one know of a Mastercard ATM locator web site?
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My experience is that different foreign ATM's, especially in 3rd world countries, from different bank chains have a mind of their own.
    Some will accept and some will decline on the same card on the came day - perhaps it is something to do with the phases of the moon ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback