tethering whilst EU roaming on EE

tonygold
tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
i have a 4GEE extra plan that allows me in the uk to also tether. i have a 25gb plan.
under the new eu roaming rules i realise i can now switch on data roaming and use the phone in europe as i would in the uk, but i cannot find out from EE whether i can also fully tether from this sim plan whilst in europe. one advisor told me i can, and another (when i thought i'd better double check) said she thought not??

does anybody know definitively what the answer is please. i go away next week and really do not want to come home to any nasty bills!!
many thanks.

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I spoke to my provider (3) about this before going to France a couple of weeks back. They were VERY clear that tethering was not included.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Samantha_EE
    Samantha_EE Posts: 27 Organisation Representative
    Hi tonygold,

Yes you can tether on all EE plans and the usage will be deducted from your data allowances.
    This also includes plans being used outside of the UK. You can find more information on this on our community pages here:
    https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/Data-Roaming-AND-Mobile-WiFi-Hotspot-Tethering/m-p/457333

Thanks, Sam
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi tonygold,

Yes you can tether on all EE plans and the usage will be deducted from your data allowances.
    This also includes plans being used outside of the UK. You can find more information on this on our community pages here:
    https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/Data-Roaming-AND-Mobile-WiFi-Hotspot-Tethering/m-p/457333

Thanks, Sam

Many thanks for this info. Very helpful.
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Exemplar wrote: »
    I spoke to my provider (3) about this before going to France a couple of weeks back. They were VERY clear that tethering was not included.
    I've been disappointed by 3's 'Feel like an unwelcome guest in someone else's home' service. I suppose it sounded too good to be true.
    I was aware I'd not be able to use torrent software but I missed the small print about not being able to tether whilst you were outside the UK. I found it was possible to get around this restriction by popping my Tablet's Sim card into a Mifi device. I could then use my allowance via my Tablet or my Laptop. If I can do this, why can't I simply use my allowance any way I want?
    I was aware of the warnings about VPN and Streaming services being slower whilst abroad, but I found in practice they didn't work at all in any useable way.
    I'm migrating my usage over to a PlusNet (via EE) Sim. Fingers crossed I have more success with them.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dampsquib wrote: »
    I've been disappointed by 3's 'Feel like an unwelcome guest in someone else's home' service. I suppose it sounded too good to be true.
    I was aware I'd not be able to use torrent software but I missed the small print about not being able to tether whilst you were outside the UK. I found it was possible to get around this restriction by popping my Tablet's Sim card into a Mifi device. I could then use my allowance via my Tablet or my Laptop. If I can do this, why can't I simply use my allowance any way I want?
    I was aware of the warnings about VPN and Streaming services being slower whilst abroad, but I found in practice they didn't work at all in any useable way.
    I'm migrating my usage over to a PlusNet (via EE) Sim. Fingers crossed I have more success with them.

You're at the whim of the roaming network you log into. If they're running short of bandwidth they'll limit roamers usage to give their own customers access and speed.
    Nothing that your home network can do about unfortunately.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    You're at the whim of the roaming network you log into. If they're running short of bandwidth they'll limit roamers usage to give their own customers access and speed.
    Nothing that your home network can do about unfortunately.

It's been shown to be Three that was throttling their customers, people who were abroad around the 15th found that it was throttled to death leading up to the 15th and magically working properly from the 15th onwards (part of the EU legislation almost made throttling illegal, so Three had no choice in lifting the limitation).

Before the 15th there were plenty of people running side by side tests with a Three and either an EE or Voda sim while roaming and finding it was only the Three sim throttled to death.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport