other than an Ipad is there any android tablet that can be restored through pc?

justaquestion
justaquestion Posts: 737 Forumite
edited 18 April 2017 at 11:22PM in Techie Stuff
Hi folks,

With two nexus 7 tablets now bricked due to getting stuck at google logo at startup and not being able to restore them even through a hard reset (went through all the proper steps) I am really getting fed up with them, and the cost and problems involved. I did try unofficial software on the internet, didn't work either because I am not experienced enough to use it, or it just couldn't work.

A few days ago I had to restore my childs ipad due to a forgotten restriction passcode and it worked great doing it through ITunes software on the pc, so was impressed with that.

1 Is there any android tablet such as a Samung Tab or other make that will enable me to restore through the official software on the pc, if it so happened I couldn't do a hard reset from within the tablet itself?

2 I am now using my partners Nexus 7, it is a bad idea to leave it switched on all the time, or shut down at night time, as the other two were on continually, but for some reason I feel this wore them out quicker?

Advice gratefully appreciated on what android tablet to go for mext that may have official software to restore and reset it?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Unless you were in the process of trying to upgrade the OS or apply a custom rom, it sounds like both tablets have suffered a hardware failure and even if there was official support to reload the OS from a PC I doubt it would work.

I've not come across an Android device that works the same way as Apple although I find it a lot more straightforward to reset on the device itself so I've never looked into doing it through a PC. Samsung devices can upgrade their OS and backup/restore through their PC software but as far as I'm aware you still do the actual reset on the device itself.

It's unlikely the other devices failed because they were left on, they're complex pieces of electronics and there's not much you can do to prevent a failure. There's risks with powering on from cold as that can cause components to fail vs keeping them on all the time.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Samsung devices upgraded / backed up via Samsung Kies from PC .
    But that does require the tablet to be able to enter download mode .
    Usual first reset of a tablet is restore to stock / out of the box state via factory restore from recovery .Recovery accessed via buttons on a powered off tablet .
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    Nexus 7's are great tablets but the issue you are having is a common one ..

Have you tried all the steps here : http://innov8tiv.com/heres-fix-google-nexus-7-tablet-stuck-google-logo-boot/
    There are pretty clear instructions.
    I presume your tablets are out of warranty ? If not, get them reported asap.

Im not aware of any android tablets that offer the same restore facility such as they do on Itunes
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Hi,
    Nexus 7's are great tablets but the issue you are having is a common one ..

Have you tried all the steps here : http://innov8tiv.com/heres-fix-google-nexus-7-tablet-stuck-google-logo-boot/
    There are pretty clear instructions.
    I presume your tablets are out of warranty ? If not, get them reported asap.

Im not aware of any android tablets that offer the same restore facility such as they do on Itunes

Just had a 2 year old Nexus 9 completely die. Worked perfectly one day -put to sleep in the evening. Next morning totally dead. Charging LED does not light. On charger for 3 days. All the recommended button twiddling doesn't work. Currently with a repairer for diagnostics. Not impressed. I like the look of the Pixel C but it's expensive and is it going to be any more reliable than the Nexus's? Contrast my 1st Gen iPad Mini, used extensively over the past 5 years and still going strong.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    datostar - my Dad's Nexus 9 is in a similar situation. The only sign of life is that it gets warm while charging - please keep us up to date on the repairer's diagnosis...
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

With two nexus 7 tablets now bricked due to getting stuck at google logo at startup and not being able to restore them even through a hard reset (went through all the proper steps) I am really getting fed up with them, and the cost and problems involved. I did try unofficial software on the internet, didn't work either because I am not experienced enough to use it, or it just couldn't work.

Hi, I think you know what you are doing, you just tried to use a factory reset, but this did not work.

Nexus 7 has 2 versions, 2012 and 2013. I have the exact same problem with my friend's 2012 Nexus 7

When you connect Nexus 7 to PC, you stuck in APX mode. It seems that this is a known hardware bug since 2012 :(

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36956908

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Nexus++APX+mode

Because of hardware faulty, you are not able to install Custom Rom as well as use a factory reset. In my case, I was lucky to find a refurbished working motherboard (with a broken LCD) from eBay (5 pound). Then replaced the motherboard itself. Then install a custom ROM. You can install a lightweight custom Rom for Nexus 7. (But you have to make it work to install a custom Rom first... )
  • hd216
    hd216 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Presuming that it is software rather than hardware based issues, I can definitely recommend a tool called Nexus Root Toolkit http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/. Whilst the tool is more geared towards people that want to root their tablet, it is more than useful in fixing a bricked Nexus Tablet. There is a specific option to fix those stuck in a boot loop; it will talk you through installing the drivers needed.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    datostar - my Dad's Nexus 9 is in a similar situation. The only sign of life is that it gets warm while charging - please keep us up to date on the repairer's diagnosis...

Got it back in exactly the same state. Repairer unable to do anything with it and didn't charge me. I'll try another place next week and if no progress there I'll write the darn thing off. Pixel C is far too expensive to take the risk so I've got a refurb 9.7 iPad Pro on it's way from Apple. Had good experiences with them before and at least they're repairable!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A firmware update or reinstall using ODIN rather than KIES.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure