Junior account question

Just became a nanna, so want to set up an account for my granddaughter.
Can anyone just let me know if there will be tax paid on the account. I would doubt it, but when looking at rates etc it always gives you an option of 0% 20% 40%.
I understand i would have the account in my name with my granddaughter also named on the account. I am a tax payer @ 20%.
I know there are Junior ISA's but i don't think i can open one, it has to be the parents?
Thanks in advance...

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Depending on how long you want to put the money away for, a cash savings account might not be such a good idea. Investments are best for 15-18 years.

But whether savings or investments, if they are outside a JISA, they are taxable. You have to declare to the bank if there is no tax due. That's usually done with an R85 form.

Can't you contribute to the JISA the parents set up?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Re Junior ISA https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts/overview

The parent must open but you can contribute. The subscription limit is now £4000 per tax year.

You could hold an account in bare trust for your grandchild - you should ask the parent to sign the R85 for interest to be paid gross.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/child-savings-tax-free

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10668206/Four-ways-to-save-and-invest-for-grandchildren.html
    might be worth a look though it was written in the last tax year and some figures are out of date.
  • lexi
    lexi Posts: 267 Forumite
    many thanks for the replies. The telegraph link was very helpful. I think my daughter is going to open an account with the halifax due to the interest rate, so I will pop into the nationwide & nottinghamshire as they are the closest ones to me & have a chat. i guess 3% is pretty decent these days.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    lexi wrote: »
    many thanks for the replies. The telegraph link was very helpful. I think my daughter is going to open an account with the halifax due to the interest rate, so I will pop into the nationwide & nottinghamshire as they are the closest ones to me & have a chat. i guess 3% is pretty decent these days.
    You're right, 3% is reasonable for zero risk savings given inflation is probably running a bit lower than that at the moment. Generally kids' savings accounts pay more than adults' accounts because the banks and BSs know that they are unlikely to suddenly have to start paying those rates on tens of thousands of pounds.

Of course, if the goal is eventually not simply to buy the child their first bike at age 4, but buy their first car at age 18, it is well worth looking at 'investments' rather than 'savings', as Colsten suggests. Over the long term (i.e. left long enough), you'd expect investments - which are linked to national or global stockmarkets - to be giving you 4-5% over inflation rather than the 1% over inflation that you can barely achieve in savings accounts at Nottinghamshire etc.

Obviously whether you want to take 'investment risk' rather than inflation risk is up to you, but it's certainly worth considering - many grandparents don't think about what their £10 will buy in ten years' time when the child is old enough to appreciate it, they just focus on the fact that a small positive interest rate sounds better than nothing. It is only better than nothing if inflation doesn't rise above the interest rate you're getting, in which case the contents of the savings account could be literally worth less than you paid for it, by the time the child is old enough to buy something that makes a big impact on their life.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lexi wrote: »
    I understand i would have the account in my name with my granddaughter also named on the account. I am a tax payer @ 20%.

In that case, the money is still yours, you would pay tax at your tax rate (20%), and if you needed to claim any benefits the capital would be taken into consideration.

In a JISA or bare trust, the money is already your granddaughter's, and is tax-free, or taxed at your granddaughter's tax rate (presumably 0%) respectively.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family