Scammed by Entitlements Agency

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Another shyster site and the power /willingness of the authorities to do anything about it.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1836087
  • JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just visited their website and downloaded their Tax Rebate form.

It is a three page document, the first page is where you list your P60,et cdetails.

The second page is a HMRC form known as a 64-8 agent authority form, it gives HMRC permission to correspond with the agent on your behalf.

The third page is in effect, a power of attorney release form giving HMRC permission to pay any refund to the agent instead of directly to the taxpayer. This menas the agent gets the cash first and you cannot complain to HMRC as they are acting on your instructions so you cannot avoid paying their 17% fee and HMRC have not done anything wrong in paying the third party your refund.

Just be careful out there folks. I do not see anything underhand from this particular outfit, they provide a service that takes all the hassle out of making a claim for those who cannot or don't want to do it themselves.

If you want to do it yourself in the future, just write to your local Tax office with what you trhink you are owed and take it from there.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • LurkerTurnedPoster
    LurkerTurnedPoster Posts: 170 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2012 at 10:16PM
    Hope you get your money Astroboy.
    Maybe stomach the charges as you were having too much of a time to do it yourself and accepting you got a service? - and chalk it up to experience.

Sharing on the MSE forum means others can chalk your experience when googling the company name and considering it themselves.
    No debts. No credit cards. No store cards. No mortgage. No CCJs. High credit rating intact. Living frugally. Want to start business soon. Trying to keep head above water; while standing on own feet; staying within the law; and not falling into debt. Looking to raise income, who isn't?
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There are scammers in every area, try looking for European Health Insurance Card or Booking a Driving Test on google and paid adverts will try to release you from your money faster than you can say "google carefully".
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    It's relatively easy to claim this type of refund yourself. You need to spent 2-3 hours researching on the internet, you can usually find something on MSE and on HMR&C's site. You might need to phone HMR&C and send them a letter.

If all you want to do is click on the first thing that comes out when you Google "Tax Rebates" and sign all the forms without reading the details using a company like this probably represents your best chance of getting a rebate.
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Having said that when you're using names like "The Entitlements Agency" and https://www.thetaxoffice.org.uk you're clearly to create the impression you're a government agency. It's pretty obvious they aren't from the website but it's still a bit of a sharp practice.
  • how long after you recieve the calculation from hmr does it take for the entitlement agency to send out cheque?????
  • towner1987 wrote: »
    how long after you recieve the calculation from hmr does it take for the entitlement agency to send out cheque?????
    Have you actually read this thread? If so why are you even this so-called "agency"?
  • What annoyed me about these people is I sent my claim to them 2 years ago and nothing happened so I did it myself and the cheque still went to them!

I've paid £80 for them to do nothing, I'm very annoyed but I don't think there is much I can do.

Mark
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bertie78 wrote: »
    What annoyed me about these people is I sent my claim to them 2 years ago and nothing happened so I did it myself and the cheque still went to them!

I've paid £80 for them to do nothing, I'm very annoyed but I don't think there is much I can do.

Mark
    I don't know how much money and time you have but you could take them to the small claims court for breach of contract especially if you have proof of when you sent in your claims.

These type of outfits don't want to be put in front of judges as the media are allowed to report on cases.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure