PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pickling beetroot

Options

Comments

• thriftmummy
    Options
    Just been given a load of fresh beetroot - sounds dumb but how do you pickle it. Do you just use normal vinegar?
  • fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    I use normal brown malt vinegar, but put a splash of water in to dilute it a bit because I don't like it too strong
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Good Housekeeping Cookery book states "You can buy ready spiced vinegar for pickling ot make your own. It must be of the best quality and have a minimum acetic acid content of 5%. Use distilled malt vinegar for light pickles like onions and malt vinegar for dark pickles. Wine vinegar can also be used."

Pickled Beetroot

Beetroot
    Spiced Vinegar

1. Wash the beetroot carefully, taking care not to damage the skins. Wrap them in foil and bake in the oven 180 centigrade, gas mark 4 for 2-3 hours until tender.
    2. Leave the beetroot to cool then skin and thinly slice them. Pack the slices into jars and cover with cold spiced vinegar.
    3. Cover the jars with airtight, vinegar-proof to[s. For longer keeping, dice the beetroot, pack loosely and cover with boiling vinegar and then seal.

HTH
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    I use normal malt vinegar because it's cheap, but I would not put water into it or you will reduce the acidity. I boil beetroot for around 45 mins, leave it to cool, and then peel it once it's cold and stick it in the jars and cover with vinegar.

Make sure you know how to sterilise the jars for pickles and jams etc before you start.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi thriftmummy,

We have an older thread on pickling beetroot that might help you, so I'll merge your thread with it as it helps to keep all the replies together. Posts are listed in date order, so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Elliesmum wrote:
    My Good Housekeeping Cookery book states "You can buy ready spiced vinegar for pickling ot make your own. It must be of the best quality and have a minimum acetic acid content of 5%. Use distilled malt vinegar for light pickles like onions and malt vinegar for dark pickles. Wine vinegar can also be used."

Pickled Beetroot

Beetroot
    Spiced Vinegar

1. Wash the beetroot carefully, taking care not to damage the skins. Wrap them in foil and bake in the oven 180 centigrade, gas mark 4 for 2-3 hours until tender.
    2. Leave the beetroot to cool then skin and thinly slice them. Pack the slices into jars and cover with cold spiced vinegar.
    3. Cover the jars with airtight, vinegar-proof to[s. For longer keeping, dice the beetroot, pack loosely and cover with boiling vinegar and then seal.

HTH
    This is exactly how I do mine and it is really nice - much nicer than bought and keeps for ages
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    How about beetroot crisps?

Thinly slice raw beetroot, and deep fry until crispy. All my kids eat beetroot this way.
  • samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    Beetroot will store ok for a good few months.Put it somewhere cool(garage/shed etc) and cover with slightly damp sand.You can then use as and when :D

I have an excellent beetroot chutney recipe which is yumlicious.....I will post it if you want.
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    samnmalc wrote:
    Beetroot will store ok for a good few months.Put it somewhere cool(garage/shed etc) and cover with slightly damp sand.You can then use as and when :D

I have an excellent beetroot chutney recipe which is yumlicious.....I will post it if you want.

Yes please - I have loads of home-grown beetroot that I was going to pickle but chutney sounds better!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • tracyburt
    Options
    I also roast beetroot, I just cut it into roast potato sized chunks and cook it the same way. Also do microwaved beetroot, but only wash it and top and tail it before cooking (ie trim roots and leaves but don't completely cut them off, and add a couple of tablespoons of water before micrwaving). I love it fresh like that and after a day any leftovers get pickled in plain cheap malt vinegar. I have tried the spiced vinegar but I found it horrid and everything just tasted of cloves:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure