PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How many times can you reheat a casserole?

I made a huge lamb casserole yesterday (to save time today), and reheated it today for my family gathering. There is quite a bit left, which is now in the fridge. Would it be safe to reheat it yet again, or should I ditch it?

Hubby says well they used to have stockpots in the "old days" that went on for weeks and must have been reheated over and over. I'm still not quite sure though. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks (hopefully)...:confused:
:D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

Comments

• Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    I imagine 'guidlines' would suggest you didn't reheat again BUT I bet many people would?

My hubby would but I wouldn't - I'm fussier. I'm a veggie and would reheat veggie meals more than once but not meat ones. Not even sure if there is any logic behind this - lol.

I think your hubby is right - I can remember when I was little my Nan reheating over and over. Sometimes it didn't even make it to the fridge :eek:
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • scoot1on1
    scoot1on1 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    Really it should be ditched im afraid, you can only reheat foods once more after cooking. Well thats what we are told by the EHO in the catering industry.
    These are the Good 'ol Days just wait and see!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting this, not so much the reheating thing but the old days I can remember my parents still eating their sunday joint on a wednesday and definitely no fridges. The milk in summer time was kept on the back step in a bucket of water and my mother still drunk it when it went sour, She also used to eat raw sausages when they were 'on the turn' UUUUUUgh! I couldn't have ever done that but she lived till she was almos91 and would say to me if I turned my nose up at anything " if you're hungry you'll eat". But also towards the end of her days she would say Food is just not like it used to be and that I think is the crux of it food was definitely better in those days.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Oh dear, well better safe than sorry I guess. What a shame. You can never tell how much is going to be left over when entertaining, and it goes totally against the grain to waste anything, but on the other hand if salmonella is the alternative............ :(
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    needmoney wrote:
    Interesting this, not so much the reheating thing but the old days I can remember my parents still eating their sunday joint on a wednesday and definitely no fridges.
    Me too,our sunday roast then was a ham hock and by the end of the week it was soup.....................in between having various things added to make it stretch,never came off the stove and into a fridge,we didn't have one.........it would go into the larder where it was cool and out again to have more added.....................never did us any harm.:rolleyes: least I don't think it did:D

but then we didn't have central heating and insulated homes..........just a thought
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have reheated more then once and never came to any harm. I have always stored left overs in the fridge as soon as cool enough and have reheated till piping hot, using the microwave to be sure I have got to the centre of the meat
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think these days people are just too over-cautious and with all the anti-bac products and misuse of antibiotics etc our bodies are just not immune to many of the bugs that the older generations coped with.

I even read somewhere recently that recommended all babies feeding utensils and toys etc be sterilised until they're over a year old!!! :eek: I never sterilised anything for my kids as they were breast-fed the first few months anyway and even when on the bottle, I just made sure it was properly cleaned out after every use and they never came to any harm :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• I've always heard that you can reheat anything as long as it's piping hot, not just warmed up. The only things I've always been told NOT to do are to refreeze food that's thawed out, or to mix cooked and raw foods or chop them on the same board.

And yes, modern hygiene does seem excessive. We are sold products to obliterate bacteria, and then flogged yoghurts to replace 'friendly' bacteria!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with Austin Allegro

As long as it is piping hot and you are not serving it to anyone young ,elderly or invalid - it should be all right. I would risk it even although it is not approved advice.:)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Taken from the Food Standards Agency Site

Leftovers

If you have cooked food that you aren't going to eat straight away, cool it as quickly as possible (ideally within one to two hours) and then store it in the fridge. Don't keep leftovers for longer than two days.

When you reheat food, make sure that it's piping hot all the way through. If the food is only warm it might not be safe to eat. Don't reheat food more than once.

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure