We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Jealous. :( Can I come with you please?

Lol, good to know you're not just a July-only Johnny :D

What size is your greenhouse? I'm hoping to get one soon but don't really know much about them. I don't want it for anything fancy, just seedlings, tomatoes, cucumbers and the like. If you, or anyone else, have any recommendations for one that isn't too expensive, I'd be very grateful.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    hornetgirl wrote: »
    What size is your greenhouse?

6'x6'. Wish it was bigger.

It's here.

It was a devil to put together. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    MBE - guess what I'm getting for my garden? Guess!!! I'm doing little jumps of excitement because I don't think even I can kill them!!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    MBE - guess what I'm getting for my garden? Guess!!! I'm doing little jumps of excitement because I don't think even I can kill them!!

Gnomes? :j
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    I have two of those already - Bert and Ernie.

A quince tree and a damson tree!!! Am already thinking jam.....
  • lisakay_2
    Options
    148140_465079555344_584970344_5725535_3303927_n.jpg

This is the pumpkin we grew and carved the year before last. we got 6 medium sized fruit from one plant and one HUGE one (68lb) from a different variety. they take up a lot of space and need protecting from slugs and snails, but they're so much fun to grow. i put a stake next to the plant when i plant it out so i can water straight to the base of the plant, they are very thirsty plants.
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • lisakay_2
    Options
    little vics, damsons dont make me think jam, they make me think gin :beer:. The damson gin i did has just recently been finished so can't wait for the new harvest:D.

Had an hr on the lotty this afternoon between picking up youngest from nursery and then eldest from football practice. got all the bonfire ashes scattered round the fruit bushes and i've started moving the compost. I can't believe how well the compost is doing considering it's just been chucked in a pile, really rotted down ( a bit longer needed yet though) and it's FULL of wriggly wormies, and I mean full. 30-40 or more in every spade.
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • Little_Vics
    Options
    oooh! GIN!!!
  • KazLA
    KazLA Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    You need luck with the weather and no slugs and snails, last year they waited 'till August before munching through the main stem thus ending the growth and any hope of a harvest:mad:
    This will be my 3rd year trying to grow them, if it doesn't work this year I'm giving up!

or you need a set up like this: http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html

That is a very committed squash grower - wow!! I just put a seed in each pot, plant them in the ground when they're big enough, water when I get chance & hope for the best. The first year we were amazed by the decent size & quantity we got, but last year was really rubbish, I think due to the lack of rain & us not getting up to the allotment much to water them. I WILL try harder this year :D

lisakay wrote: »

This is the pumpkin we grew and carved the year before last. we got 6 medium sized fruit from one plant and one HUGE one (68lb) from a different variety. they take up a lot of space and need protecting from slugs and snails, but they're so much fun to grow. i put a stake next to the plant when i plant it out so i can water straight to the base of the plant, they are very thirsty plants.

Am I right in thinking that the stake is purely so you know wkere the actual plant is? What a really simple, but excellent idea.
    I have two of those already - Bert and Ernie.

A quince tree and a damson tree!!! Am already thinking jam.....

I had quince jelly & cheese sandwiches yesterday! First I'd heard of it, my grandma had a couple of jars & didn't know what to do with it. Not much taste though really.

Inspired by the thread & warm weather, I weeded my garden last thurs & fri planted 5 gardeners delight tomatoes, just to hv a few plants in conservatory & the few baby carrots I was going to stick in pots ended up going in the ground.

Need to get allotment dug & weeded next :whistle:
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jolaaled wrote: »
    Mr BE...I would love to fix a water butt onto my greenhouse like you have done as per your photo...please can you tell me how to fix the pipe onto the greenhouse gulley thing?? THANKS

You can get kits from B&Q. They're not cheap.

Mine came with my rescue greenhouse!
    Tim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family